You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking through the Windows...

• Staff

The Affinity Windows beta launch is getting very close now...

So, I was just wondering how many of the current forum members are planning to give it a whirl on their Windows machines when the time comes? I've been peeking over the top of the wall to take a look (i.e. running it on my Macs via BootCamp) and it looks like it's coming along nicely - but I just wondered how many of the familiar faces will be participating in the Windows beta too?

Thanks,

Matt

I would like to give the windows beta a whirl and additionally buy it via paypal right away. (nice addition would be to be able to preorder Affinity Photo in advance...)

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

I'm running Windows 7 on Parallels for some work relates applications and will definitely give the Windows Beta a go … generally, I'll do all of my work on OS X, but I'm going to take a very close look at file compatibility, speed, reliability, feature parity and PDF import to find out, if I can recommend the Windows version to other people the same way I tell everyone who wants to hear it about the Mac version.

• Staff

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to put a post in here to make it really clear that you need to be using the Windows version booted into Windows natively, not running on top of any other OS. The Windows version makes heavy use of the kind of things that emulation (and even virtualization) is not going to implement well. We use Direct3D, Direct2D and a number of other Microsoft-specific technologies that are going to have to be mapped and it will degrade performance. You will receive a poor result - I'd expect it to run nothing like the actual native Windows version performance-wise, in all honesty...

Anyone with a Mac could just use BootCamp if they wanted to, so it's not all bad news, but I'd say that there's definitely no point running the Windows version and assessing its speed/smoothness (or even possibly its stability?) while running it in a virtual machine from a different OS...

Thanks again,

Matt

I've got bootcamp so that I can do some SharePoint stuff, will definitely use the beta on there to see what it's like! Currently also trying to convince as many of my colleagues as possible to use it on their Windows machines so that we can work natively on the files I produce, so will report back with any of their experiences too.

MattP, got a licensing question. When AD and AP finally go live, how many computers will a user be able to install one copy into from a single license. One, two or more?

And yes, I am ready to go in installing the Windows versions.

• Staff

MattP, got a licensing question. When AD and AP finally go live, how many computers will a user be able to install one copy into from a single license. One, two or more?

And yes, I am ready to go in installing the Windows versions.

I'm really not the best person to ask about licensing. Writing features, sure, but legal things.... not so great ;)

However, to the best of my knowledge, it's the same terms as the Mac App Store version (which is essentially a 'fair play' system where if it's for home use then it's fine to install on the machines you own and if it's for work then you'll need a licence for each computer or person)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.