You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Mockups using Embedded images and Perspective

Hi, I'm trying desperately to ditch Photoshop but have a couple of issues I am having problems recreating in Affinity Photo.

I am trying to create a mockup file that has a framed image in perspective in a hall - imagine an art gallary view looking down a corridor.

I have all the frames in situ, but want to be able to add and change the content of those frames from embedded images that are then transformed with the perspective tool.

This I can do manually, but I'd like to be able to get the embedded images in position then be able to easily change the embedded file for new images which automatically update the perspective in the main image.

I create lots of digital art and like to frame it in a realistic looking setting so need to do this on a regular basis.

In Photoshop I would have used a smart object to do this easily but am having trouble in AP - as soon as I apply the perspective tool the embedded photo seems to be frozen and no longer am I able to replace the embedded image and have it update in AP.

I noticed a video tutorial in AD about placing a logo on a billboard and then changing the embedded file, but there doesnt appear to be a perspective tool in AD so again I'm stuck.

Anybody out there solved this one?

Regards

Gareth

For the "SmartObject like" just save the picture you want to place as an .aphoto file.

Then go to File > Place and browse to your file.

Now you need the Perspective Live Filter, that you have to apply to the layer containing the embedded document.

Repeat this to any placeholder you need.

Now if you double click the embedded layer you can change/edit/substitute its content and save to see the changes.

PS. These embedded documents are not yet exactly as SmartObjects, so if you make changes to the original document (the one stored in your HD) your changes will not appear.

In this case you have to use the "Replace Document" button and select it again to make AP refresh it.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers