You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Cutting" sections out of a design

Hey guys, I am a complete newbie to this.

I have been fiddling with a basic design which involves drawing circles, which you then need to remove a wedge from; my problem is the only way I can find to remove this wedge is by selecting the area and then fading it into the background. The issue comes when you want to export this image; as soon as the background changes to anything other than white then this wedge shows up.

so very simple, if I select a segment of an image or design how can I have it deleted completely and not just masked?

hey Meb; sorry if my post is clumsy.

I created a design (export is happening in EPS to prevent pixeling) on this design I need to "cut" out a small section to achieve the design I wanted.

By drawing and manipulating a rectangle I was able to cover the segment I wanted to remove; by changing the rectangles color to white it effectively "removes " the part I want removed: if I follow you instructions of selecting the area and then pressing delete, the sqaure as a whole is just deleted, like undo.

The issue come in when you export the eps and wants to transfer this image onto any surface other than pure white; then the rectangle shows up as a design element.

• Staff

Ok, thanks for clarifying this. I'm assuming you are working with vector objects. If you want to "subtract" on object from another (in this case the manipulated rectangle. You have to perform a subtract boolean operation.

Make sure the object you want to subtract (the manipulated rectangle) is above the other one you want to keep in the Layers panel, then select both and go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract.

The manipulated rectangle should create a "hole" in your main object.

Without seeing the file, is difficult to guess what's going on but i believe the steps i described above should help to get the result you want.