You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit text in an edit box instead on screen?

Dear all,

I have some text in my document which is flipped horizontally and vertically.

If I want to edit the text on the screen it is very difficult since flipped text is not easy to read and Backspace and Del keys work in opposite direction on screen which is little wierd to follow.

My question is there any edit box I can use to edit the text written left to right as usual?

Thanks...

Has this been logged as a feature request? I can see an 'Edit Story' mode being very useful in Affinity Designer, and almost indispensable in the forthcoming Affinity Publisher.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi mr.burns,

Yes, this already happened to me too and i'm passing it as an improvement to the dev team. I don't know however when or if it will become available in Designer (or Publisher). They may find more practical to introduce this with Publisher later since they will have to work on several text features at the time and eventually port it back to Designer if that's the case.

How would this feature work? I have very limited experience with apps that support flipping text horizontally and/or vertically, but in each of them the text automatically flips to normal during text entry or editing & reverts to flipped when the text box is deselected. That makes it easy to edit the text itself but hard to see the effect while doing that.

Assuming that is OK, as a workaround why not flip the text back to normal for editing & then flip it again afterwards? It is only a few extra clicks. Would that work?

Also, in AD flipping frame text seems to have no effect at all on the text itself. On my system that only works for art text. Is this normal?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Why not use an embedded document? This is a typical use case for exactly this!

• Write your stuff and save a source document.

• Place this document within the target document and do with it, what you want (squeeze, shear, mirror …).

• In case of text editing, open the source document and make your edits there.

• Back in the target document, all is modified as expected.