You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simulating out of register CMYK printing

I would like to produce a piece of art with the cyan yellow and magenta channels slightly moved with respect to each other as if printing was out of register. I have switched the document to CMYK colour mode, made three copies of the base pixel layer and then tried to clear the colours I didn't want from each of these layers. However having cleared the yellow magenta and black channels from my cyan layer I have grey layer. Now presumably the intensity of the grey represents the intensity of the cyan - but I would actually like it to appear cyan-coloured.

Can I do this in CMYK? Or do I need to resort to the double inversion method used in the technicolor simulation tutorial?

d.

Add a new layer above the greyscale layer, fill it with cyan and set its blend mode to 'Screen'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Not so sure Fixx. There is access to channels see various video tutorials. Before Alfred came up with his solution, working with an RGB file I made three copies of the base layer and cleared the red, green and blue channels respectively giving me simulated C, M and Y layers. Enlarged the canvas and de-registered the layers, lighten blend mode (I think). Anyway iI now have something that looks like out of register CMY.

d.

You know you are right! There is a channels palette, you can select one channel, select all pixels and move it. It is not as straightforward as in PS, you have to switch tool from marquee to arrow, channel palette does not light up active channel etc. Attached test file (converted back to RGB for www display.

kiasma-IMG_1014.jpg?raw=1