You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't think there's more red in the Affinity Photo version, but it looks as though there's more contrast. I would expect them to be the same if the colour profile and preferences are the same.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As Affinity and Photoshop use different Raw engines, the tone curve applied to to the RAW image will be slightly different for each app. PS also has the ability to use camera profiles when processing RAW images which is something we have been working on but is not available in the current release.

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

RAW is not the issue.  This happens all the time I use tiff and ProPhoto RGB.   

I have written numerous posts regarding this issue and have had many responses.   Most responses infer I don’t know what I am doing and do not know how to use the program.

Well, I agree with all of them ! ! ! 

I wrote an essay about my workflow and no-one responded.   Not even the poster that requested some information.  You are seeing what I have been, I believe.

I will repost.

Kind regards,

david4 

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

jmac, glad you asked your questions.

I would suggest you “google” device independent color management.  But first, read what I have written.

To start, let’s say I purchase, off the shelf, a color inkjet printer, a new computer, a new display, and 25 sheets of acid free archival paper that will fit my inkjet printer.

I look at a digital image file on my new display.  Looks okay.  Send this image file to my new printer and the colors are dismal.  So, I start changing density and color on the display, in order to make the printed image look the way I want.  Or, another way would be to change printer settings, hoping to make the image look they way I want.  This results in wasting ink and fine art paper.  Neither are inexpensive.  Finally after wasting money as well as time, I end up with a printed representation, or kind of, what I am looking for.

Now, as Bill Nye the science guy would put it, consider it you will, creating a customization or custom profile with known standards, known characteristics, thoughtout this planet.  So, using a known standard world wide, for this discussion, I use the X-Rite classic 24 patch cardboard target.  It’s sort of 2 inches by 3.5 inches.  I photograph the X-Rite classic 24 patch target and use software to profile my “camera > lens > lighting”.  

With software and hardware designed to create custom .icc profiles, I print a target based on this software, in my case, i!Profiler.  I use the i1Pro version D, spectrophotometer, to read this target with it’s software.   NEC’s SpectroView II application will create a target on my display that I read with the i1Pro spectrophotometer.  These readings give me a device independent custom profile for everything I use in digital imaging.

So, all equipment I use is now custom profiled.   I can trust what I have digitally captured will print as a representation of the original capture.  This is especially important when creating representations, or reproductions of an artist’s original intellectual property.

Getting back to the  X-Rite classic 24 patch target, I include this target during digital capture when of original art.  I then have a “standard”.

When doing portraiture, still lifes, and landscapes, the  X-Rite classic 24 patch target in either in the digital capture or captured separately for use during digital development.

Speaking of digital development, there is Raw Photo Processor  64 developer which uses the  X-Rite classic 24 patch target for profiling the camera>lens>lighting>.  Marvelous application.  Once processed the file can be opened in AP, LR, PS, or any other program I choose.   

I have requested serif be able to read this custom camera profile.  Staff has responded, this profile type will soon be readable.

jmac, I have no idea why AP doesn’t reproduce color correctly.  I don’t know code and don’t plan on understanding code.  Sorry.

I wrote in an earlier post I am not the creative type.  That’s not really true.  As a photographic artist, I pre visualize what the final print will be.  I choose the lens needed to give the feeling I want in a capture.  I use digital imaging applications to to be able to print what I have captured.  I do dodging, burning in, white balance, luminance.  I don’t create with AP, or PS.

Regarding serif and correct color reproduction, you must ask serif.  I have no clue.  I just know the applications I use, do give the correct color reproduction.

Write me or call me wrong.  When I first read the Apple/serif promotions of AP, I thought the promotion included something to the effect, good color management was part of the application.   After some of my color issue posts, I failed to see the claims.  

I never would have purchased AP if the color management was not like LR, PS, or RPP 64.  However, I now have AP and wishing serif would make a positive move toward appropriate color management.  

Some of you have Ph.D’s in areas I am not familiar with.  And you folks have been extremely helpful to me!.

Me, well, I understand,

triprolidine  + sudoephrine.

Sig:  i po tid for snotty  stuffy, runny nose.  can cause drowsiness.

refil  1

I started film capture in the late 40’s.  Processed black and white sheet film, 120 film, and 35 mm film, and created black and white prints.  Eventually was processing and printing my own color prints.

Somewhere in there, I earned the Doctor of Pharmacy degree, USC, 1963.  During my time at USC, I had the opportunity to take a large format, black and white course from the cinema department.

Eventually, here in Bellingham, Washington State, my wife and I operated 2 one hour color labs.   Even then, chemistry had to be kept at a standard that was world wide.  The test strips and chemistry came from various parts of the planet.  This was color management for the one hour lab industry.

Custom labs also had to keep their chemistry stable and in line with good practices.

Again, I thank those asking questions.

Kind Regards,

David4