You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple rectangular mask on image

Hi,

I'm trying to mask an image to a specific rectangular area, so that everything outside the rectangle is hidden.  I've tried  drawing a rectangle and in the layers panel, dragging it onto the image's icon.  This masks the entire image which is no longer visible at all.

I believe I'm using a vector mask.

How do I do this?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• Staff

Hi GFS, 

From you're description you seem to be doing it right. Just to be sure, you must drag the rectangle (vector shape) over the thumbnail of the image. You should see a small blue vertical bar appearing. If correctly done, the rectangle should be attached to the image layer with a little crop symbol over it.

Here's a sample file. On the right is a photo already masked with a rectangle. On the right the assets i used to create it.

Check the layers panel (the last two objects). To create the mask yourself drag the rectangle over the thumbnail until the vertical blue bar appear. You should get the same result as i did.

If you want to move the mask, go to the layers panel, click the arrow to expand the layer, select the rectangle (with the crop symbol) clicking on its thumbnail to select it. You can now move you mask on the canvas.

Hi GFS, 

From you're description you seem to be doing it right. 

Hmmm.

Perhaps this is because it's a PNG with an alpha channel?

Anyway ... when I apply the rectangle as a mask, the entire image is masked (no longer visible) instead of just the area of the rectangle.  Bug report?

testMask.afdesign

• Staff

The problem is with your rectangle (the one you're using as mask). It is not filled (only stroked - that's why you see those thin lines - its using the stroke lines only as mask). 

To solve this: go to Layers panel, select the rectangle clicking on its thumbnail and then fill it with any color (you can also remove the stroke). It should now work as you expect. I mean you should be able to see part of the PNG that fits inside the rectangle.

Is that what you want to do? Or do you want to use the logo as the mask (to show some texture through it for example)?

Thanks MEB.  Yes, really I just wanted a simple clipping mask.

I'd happily do as you suggest, if only I could find out how to apply a fill to a rectangle selected in the layers panel.  No doubt too obvious for the Help.   :mellow: