You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Acquire image from scanner not working

If I scan (Epson Perfection V550) in greyscale at 600 dpi, the image comes into Affinity Photo as if it's been through a shredder.

Works fine in Pixelmator, Photoshop, etc

File attached and preview/screenshot.

I primarily need scanner support(not good at the moment), some image tweaking (seems fine) and a Save For Web with preview would be great at some point.

thanks,

-damian

post-1823-0-50206000-1465954055_thumb.png

scanfail.afphoto

• Staff

Hi Dorkboy,

I've tried scanning using our Canon CanoScan LiDE 210. I was able to scan successfully at both 300 and 600 DPI using 'Kind: Black and White'  and 'Greys: 256 Greys'.

Does your scanner use the Apple scanning software or does it use it's own? What options do you have set when you scan?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Apple's built in scanning - Epson has their own also, but I haven't used it.

I'm using 256 grays, 600 dpi - I don't see this issue with the same scanner and settings in any other apps. I have tried both Pixelmator and Photoshop.

Hi Dorkboy,

I've tried scanning using our Canon CanoScan LiDE 210. I was able to scan successfully at both 300 and 600 DPI using 'Kind: Black and White'  and 'Greys: 256 Greys'.

Does your scanner use the Apple scanning software or does it use it's own? What options do you have set when you scan?

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread after so long, but I’m having the same issue. Here’s my setup:

• macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • Affinity Photo 1.6.7 for Mac 
  • Epson WF-4720

I am using the built-in Mac drivers for this multi-function device / scanner. These drivers have always worked just fine in any other app I use. I thought they were working well for Affinity Photo, too, but perhaps I’m not remembering correctly. In Affinity Photo, it seems to recognize the scanning device and starts the scan process; however, the result is all but unrecognizable (see attached photos comparing the result from Affinity Photo with that from Photoshop).

I have tried this at 600, 300, and 100 dpi. Affinity Photo's garbled scans are always the same except for the resolution. 

Any idea what’s going on or what I should try? Thanks in advance.

9E9FF874-C303-4F9B-8145-D058AF085492.jpeg

E003D16E-E963-417B-AB73-03D65E6C6829.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I briefly tried the latest Affinity Photo beta 1.7. Sadly it has the same issue with this Epson scanner. 

The scanner works well on its own if I want to save images to my Mac's Desktop. Photoshop has no issues, nor does any other application as far as I know thus far. Hopefully the developers are listening and looking into it.

For now, my workaround is to scan a TIFF (8-bit only) to the desktop and then open this TIFF in Affinity Photo. ¬¬