You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Key Modifiers

Key modifiers, are great. Adobe makes excellent use of them. Affinity apps would greatly benefit in speed by allowing key modifiers similar to Adobe. For example, if you select the eye dropper tool, you can use key modifiers to select objects, duplicate objects, move and maybe even rotate or enlarge an object, all while still holding the eye dropper tool. And it's this way with all of their tools. The option, is to make a whole lot of trips back to the toolbox. Clip Studio Paint takes key modifiers to a whole new level by allowing not just regular key commands to be customized, but even key modifiers. For example, if you find that you use two tools together often, you can decide that when one particular tool is selected (brush tool for example), f you press Control, it toggles a blending tool while you're holding Control. This makes for an incredibly powerful and fast experience. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on Adobe Creative Cloud. I've been avoiding the subscription model but I can't find another software that can give me enough of what Adobe does to make it easier to not go with Adobe. Mostly it's Illustrator that's hard to replace.

• Staff

Hi Kuttyjoe,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity apps already use key modifiers to perform different actions. Look at the bottom of the interface for a list of key modifiers for each tool.

You can also customise shortcuts going to menu Affinity Designer ▸ Preferences..., Keyboard Shortcuts section.

For additional info please check the Help ▸ Affinity Designer Help, Workspace, Keyboard Shortcuts.

• 3 weeks later...

Win Beta

I would love to be able to hold the CTRL key to switch between move and node tools and vice versa, This is a very speedy way of working (Illustrator) the CTRL key seems to be un used on node, but on move it seems to duplicate the object when dragged, the ALT key does this also.

Suggestion:

ALT key only duplicates when dragged in move tool  CTRL reserved for switching (as above)