You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select Same

Just like in Illustrator. Select an object. Do key command to select objects with the same color or outline or appearance. The way Illustrator has this implemented is brilliant and simple. The way Corel did it is god awful. Don't do it like Corel which makes you click through pages of questions and forces you to first ungroup the art

Powerful selection tools would be very needed feature. I routinely clean up CAD drawings (PDF) which have thousands of objects, which all may be weirdly grouped and very inefficiently built. They though usually have color coding and maybe line thickness. Also, it would be nice to be able to select objects smaller than (put your value here). That way I could get rid of vector rasters etc.

• 2 months later...

A far better model for this than AI's small handful of "select same..." commands or Draw's similarly limited commands would be FreeHand's as-yet unequaled Graphic Find and Replace feature.

Selection by object type is also needed. For example, when working with imported technical drawings (dxf, pdf, etc.), it is an every day and essential need to be able to select all path objects so as to apply consistent styling to them. In Illustrator, for example:

1. Select>Text Objects. All text objects are selected. The text size of all callouts can then be set as needed for readability at the final repro size. All selected text objects can be collected to a single Layer.

2. Select>Invert. All objects other than text objects are selected. The line weight and endcaps can be set all at once according to your drawing standards, without applying unwanted strokes to text objects.

[in fact, without this ability, Affinity will not be usable in my department for reworking engineering drawings into customer-suitable drawings.]

And so on...

Again, FreeHand's Graphic Find & Replace feature consolidated all of this functionality and much, much, more in a single interface palette. You could perform selections for

• any object type

• most attributes of any object type (same fill, same stroke, open paths, closed paths, etc., etc.)

• a range of attributes (ex: paths with stroke weight between X and Y)

JET

I started on the very first version of Illustrator, but quickly switched over a few years later to Freehand. Kept using Freehand until a few years ago when it no longer worked with my latest Macs. Happy to have Designer after all these years.

+1 for following some of Freehand's methods rather than Adobe's.

Michael

Until Freehand like selection prowess rears it's head, if it ever does I will settle for something similar to illustrators magic wand tool. Saved my bacon more than once on a complicated piece. Really simple, one task job when that's all you need.

Thanks for posting the screenshots, rui_mac. I was going to do the same next time I'm in my home studio.

...I will settle for something similar to illustrators magic wand tool...

Serif continually states that Affinity is being designed as a "professional-level" program. The last thing I want to see is Serif "settling for" Illustrator's mediocrity as something to which to aspire. That's the problem with most drawing programs these days.

JET

• 1 month later...