You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hey there,

can you tell me how I can place exact guides? when I dragged 4 of them out the values shown in the guideline tooltips were x=80, x=170, y=80 and y=170 -> screenshot 1 and when i used them to draw a rectangle (screenshot 2) it should be 90 x 90 mm but the transform panel tells me that it actually is 90.1 x 90 mm. so i zoomed in and found out that the guides where placed on positions with a lot of values behind the dot (see screenshot 3). and finally when i use illustrator to verify the values it tells me something like in screenshot 4.

so is there a possibility to place guides exactly on positions I want them?

post-911-0-81234400-1413537611_thumb.png

post-911-0-71293700-1413537621_thumb.png

post-911-0-46649200-1413537631_thumb.png

post-911-0-05978000-1413537637_thumb.png

aahhhh I should have found that myself sorry and thank you!  :)

the guides i dragged out are shown in the Guides Manager with even numbers (see screenshot) but actually they aren't... I think this is basically the same issue as mentioned here with the amount of decimal places generally shown in affinity designer. is there a solution or fix planned?

post-911-0-67683600-1413538964_thumb.png

I get 1 decimal place of precision for millimeters in the Guides Manager. It looks like you want 3. What are you doing that needs so much precision? We might be persuaded to make it 2 for millimeters, but if you need 3 then perhaps that would be better handled with a new unit type, eg micrometers.

I forgot to mention, that if you switch on Snap to Units, dragging guides will respect that so you can position them at exact millimeter positions.

If I am honest, I would love NO cut off decimal places or at least 4  :)

let me explain why with a project I did for one of my clients, a business folder (hope that's the right expression):
the image shows the die cut shape i had to use but it was made for a thinner type of cardboard (1.7mm). I had to optimize it for a 2.2mm thick cardboard.

the green lines mark the where folding lines should be placed and the magenta ones where to cut.

in order to get the final product folded correctly and laying straight and flat, I had to move the lines around partwise with values of 0.825 mm (point by point). to check if I have moved all points correctly i marked the point and then simply checked the value in the transform panel within illustrator. it shows the exact value with no cut off decimal places. this makes checking a lot easier. an if it says a point has a coordinate of 1.254 mm it is 1.254 mm and not 1.25435484 with the rest simply not displayed.

Die cutting machines work with laser and they are very precise and would make a difference between 1.254 and 1.25435484 mm which could lead to unexpected results while production process.

don't get me wrong i really want to use AD (bought it instantly after release) and love the performance. but the handling of decimal places just makes it impossible for me to use it for my work...

post-911-0-84959600-1413546024_thumb.jpg

when i think of reasons for higher precision there is one more: banknotes... let's say the euro with all it's microscopic details (the 1.000.000% zoom is great for that) is going to be redesigned. I Think AD has the capability to do that in other words: the new euro banknotes in 2015. designed with passion. created with affinity designer.  :D