You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delete Selection Inside Vector Image in afDesign

I converted a photo into a silhouette and traced it in order to print on a T-shirt (bitmap to vector with transparent background). However, I need to remove a gap between the arm and the body and am stuck. There is no knife ala what I vaguely remember from Illustrator (I'm a photo guy not a designer ;) ). i selected the area with a pen, but can only fill it with white to cover the black, which won't work for printing. "Cut" is greyed out. 

How do I delete this space inside the trace of the image? 

Alternatively, since I traced the silhouette and filled with the entire outline with black, if I could have traced the outside, then traced the inside without deleting the first pen selection, I'd have it done. But I couldn't find a way to combine two pen selections on one layer. 

Thank you in advance anyone. / jim 

bit map: https://flic.kr/p/He7ywE 

• Staff

Hi JimLosAltos,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select both the main and the "gap" shape then go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract. Note that the "gap" shape must be above the main shape in the layers panel.

To select both shapes press and hold ⇧ (shift) and click on them on the canvas.