You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer or Photo - Which one is better fo digital painting

Hi! I am used to using Adobe package, where is a strict division between software for vectors and software for rasters.I saw that the Affinity moves away from this scheme. Affinity Designer can create vectors, but also  raster paintings? In addition, I heard that, both- Affinity Photo and Designer are using the same  file extension. So I can open the file with the vectors in Affinity Photo? Could someone explain that to me? :P Which program is better to buy for digitalpainting? (for example, in the style of: http://memod.deviantart.com/gallery/)

Thanks for all your help!  :)

• Staff

Hi ziemowittt,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, Affinity Designer can use both vector and raster based brush engines for painting and you can mix them as you see fit. For example, you can use a vector shape to clip a raster painted layer for shading purposes.

You can open affinity file formats in both programs keeping everything editable and also include the history (of changes) so you can undo previous steps performed in any of the apps. You can also send the file directly from one app to the other without saving the file using the menu File ▸ Edit in Photo/Designer.

Both programs are great for digital painting but Designer have two brush engines: one vector based (for vector brushes although it can use raster based nozzles too) and another raster based (which is the same used in Affinity Photo). Currently the vector based brush engine is  less developed than the raster based engine. There's a trial available of both programs on our website.

• Staff

It shouldn't take much longer now. Affinity Designer for Windows will be available as a Beta before the end of this month and you can use it freely until the program is commercially launched. After its release you will have to buy a license to continue using it if you like. So you will have plenty of time to try it.

• 1 year later...

I'm brand new to Affinity Photo but seasoned with Adobe Photoshop and I can't see how I can draw/paint like I can in Photoshop in Affinity. I'm getting the book soon, but in the meantime I'm looking up how to achieve similar results... with no luck. I decided to start up an account here since I'll be transferring to this platform simply out of monetarily needs and current software (still using CS5 Suite). The brush doesn't do anything near what the Photoshop brush does? I'd appreciate it if someone can reassure me that I'm making the right investment because right now I'm regretting it, still have 13 days to make a return though so there is that at least. Here is a quick video of what I'm talking about...

6 hours ago, manu541 said:

I'm brand new to Affinity Photo but seasoned with Adobe Photoshop and I can't see how I can draw/paint like I can in Photoshop in Affinity.

It is very hard to tell from your video how your Affinity Photo brushes are set up or if you are using a drawing tablet with either app. Perhaps if you could provide more info about that & how you want the brushes to behave someone will be able to help you with setting up your brushes & which options to use to achieve results more like with Photoshop.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7