You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

KateM

Thank you to Oval and MEB. Now I feel stupid, but you were quite right of course - by first deleting the Photo and Designer apps I was then able to download the 1.4.2 versions

• Staff

Hi pela,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's a new version of Designer Beta available (v1.5). The old one doesn't validate anymore.

You can download the new one from here. Install it overwriting the previous one and everything should work as usual. Please note that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in version 1.4 due to the changes introduced in 1.5 file format.

I'm confused about what this latest version is. The original announcement in this thread is dated June 13 and says an AP 1.4.2 update is available in the App Store. However, the version of AP I'm running is 1.4.2 and I've have it installed since well before June 13. The App Store says my version is up to date.

So what does this announcement refer to? Is this some further refinement of AP V 1.4.2? As far as I can tell, there's no new version 1.4.2 in the App Store at this time.

• Staff

Hi dotlyc,

The latest version available (and most up to date) is 1.4.2 from the Mac App Store.

If you were running any Beta (1.4.2 beta x), it will not validate anymore since it was just a development/test version to fix bugs for the final 1.4.2 release (which is the one that is now on the Mac App Store).

The process goes like this:

Here in the forum we publish a Beta version for those willing to try/test and give feedback about the new features/improvements we implement in the programs. This Beta version is independent from the Mac App Store and should be used only for testing/feedback purposes since its subject to changes - including to our file format - that may turn its files incompatible with the Mac App Store version. As soon as the Beta starts to become stable and all features behaving/working as designed, it moves to RC status (that is, Release Candidate1, 2 and so on). This is where the last remaining bugs (if there's any) and final improvements are made before submitting it as a commercial version to the Mac App Store. The version we then submit to the Mac App Store is the final release (commercial release) which should be used in production/commercial environments/daily work and it's simply identified by its version number without any other labels (Beta or RC) attached.

Hi dotlyc,

The latest version available (and most up to date) is 1.4.2 from the Mac App Store.

If you were running any Beta (1.4.2 beta x), it will not validate anymore since it was just a development/test version to fix bugs for the final 1.4.2 release (which is the one that is now on the Mac App Store).

The process goes like this:

Here in the forum we publish a Beta version for those willing to try/test and give feedback about the new features/improvements we implement in the programs. This Beta version is independent from the Mac App Store and should be used only for testing/feedback purposes since its subject to changes - including to our file format - that may turn its files incompatible with the Mac App Store version. As soon as the Beta starts to become stable and all features behaving/working as designed, it moves to RC status (that is, Release Candidate1, 2 and so on). This is where the last remaining bugs (if there's any) and final improvements are made before submitting it as a commercial version to the Mac App Store. The version we then submit to the Mac App Store is the final release (commercial release) which should be used in production/commercial environments/daily work and it's simply identified by its version number without any other labels (Beta or RC) attached.

Hi, MEB:

Thanks for your feedback. I understand the Beta process but I stopped downloading the betas, in part because they don't preserve custom brushes etc. and in part because I found installing frequent betas distracting and cumbersome. I decided to just wait for the official updates in the App Store.

The version I'm currently running is V 1.4.2, which I downloaded from the App Store before June 13. According to the information on my computer, it was "created" on June 2 but my recollection is that I've been running it longer than that. I've been waiting for the latest official release and was expecting something beyond V 1.4.2.

I'd also be interested to know if development of the Mac app has been slowed down by the development of the Windows app. When I first got Affinity, there seemed to be quite a flurry of activity, addressing bugs, new fixes and wish lists. That seems to have slowed down appreciably.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi dotlyc,

No, development of Affinity hasn't slowed down. The 1.5 version Currently in Beta) includes quite a large number of improvements and changes to the code. That's why it took more time than usual. We also had to synchronise its launch with 1.5 Beta for Windows, to help keep feature parity between both platforms from now on. The Beta release should become more regular as previously.

@magicmarker,

Are you sure you have signed with the same Apple ID used to by the app? What does the button in the Purchased tab in the App Store apps says?

Hi dotlyc,

No, development of Affinity hasn't slowed down. The 1.5 version Currently in Beta) includes quite a large number of improvements and changes to the code. That's why it took more time than usual. We also had to synchronise its launch with 1.5 Beta for Windows, to help keep feature parity between both platforms from now on. The Beta release should become more regular as previously.

@magicmarker,

Are you sure you have signed with the same Apple ID used to by the app? What does the button in the Purchased tab in the App Store apps says?

Hi, 

I did use the same ID as my purchase, I only have one ID. The button in the Purchased tab just says "Open", which opens my existing copy of Affinity Photo (version 1.4.1). I've been having a lot of performance issues with AF, and I'm hoping that the update addresses these. If I can get the update.... 

** EDIT***

I restarted my computer, and the update showed up. Strange since this has never happened with any other apps before, but at least it's installed. The update did not fix my extreme lag when using brushes though, and I still can't use this software. I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse right about now. 

• 2 months later...