ruggiero

[Fixed] Finder Labels and Tags get Lost (serious bug)

I have labels and tags assigned to image files in OS X Finder. Whenever I edit a file with Affinity Photo and save the result, a NEW file is being created and only then the old file is deleted. This is perfect behavior. However Affinity Photo does not copy Finder meta data like labels etc to the new file. So after editing an image all the meta data is lost. This is extremely annoying as I have several Smart Folders and Saved Searches based on this data. After editing I cannot find my files anymore.

This is a rather serious bug. Any workarounds?

Thanks for raising this ruggiero. I've been able to replicate this quite easily so I have logged it for the developers to look at. In the meantime, instead of saving if you go to File > Export and save out the jpg that way it should keep the finder tags.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Tagging doesn't work for me even if I save a file that I created in Affinity to begin with. I really wish Affinity would have the standard Mac functions like tagging, file duplication (from inside of the app), file renaming from the title bar, etc. I think before Serif goes on to make an Affinity a Windows program they should first make their Mac apps work like Mac apps.  Schedule

@ruggerio

Actually, you're not quite right.  We do actually write directly to the output file for export raster file types.

The problem has been tracked down to the library we use to write XMP data, which happens at the end of the process.  That actually make a temporary copy, injects the XMP data into the copy, then swaps the files over using the OS file rename (hence why the file loses its tags and also gets a new creation time stamp).

I'm changing it so the result is written directly into the original file.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I have started using Tags (MAC) to better organize my photos. However, when I update a photo with Affinity Photo, the exported jpg files have the tags stripped off. This seems to be a bug to me. This post ("[Fixed] Finder Labels and Tags get Lost (serious bug)") indicates this would be fixed in the next release. I upgraded from 1.5.2 to 1.6.6 but the bug is still in 1.6.6. Is this still on the list to get fixed? Thanks.