You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello fellow Affinity fans!

I've just completed a multi-layered website design in Affinity Designer and would like to display each page at an angle to show how all of the different layers/planes relate to each other. 

I've searched around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I tried using Affinity Photo's persecutive tool, but it destroys the quality of the site and doesn't enable me to do it in layers. 

​Attached is an example of what I'm trying to achieve

Help?:)

• Staff

Hi JonathanCopeland,

Welcome to the Forums :)

I can't see anything attached to this post could you please try re attaching your example ? 

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I tried using Affinity Photo's persecutive tool, but it destroys the quality of the site and doesn't enable me to do it in layers. 

Sorry to deceive hopes. You already answered your question. Not easy in Affinity Designer (but in other [3d] apps). To get more quality, enlarge before. Perhaps there will be a workaround with version 1.5 soon.

Is there any feedback available? 

This is perfectly doable using Perspective Live Filter it doesn't destroy anything.

I tend to use "baked" layers instead of applying to pure complex vectors

perspective.jpg

composition.jpg

perspective_compo.jpg

Quality seems to me good enough for production...

If I have to find some improvements here I'd say snapping for perspective handles (so I could use the isometric grid as more than a reference) and a bit more quick redraw...

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

What 3D apps would you suggest Oval?

Without seeing your website design … all apps that have perfect kerning capabilities (e.g. C4D).

FYI: The AD AP detour produces difficulties with text. We hope 1.5 will have an answer.

Also, What do you mean by bakes layers Paolo?

The perspective tool included in AP is a quite demanding distortion filter, so to keep the workflow sleek, and quality results I export my views as PNG (so rasterised vectors) then compose them in a new document.

Using the continuous export function these are always up to date.

If you use the  File > Place command you can always refresh those png if you need some changes.

This is my workflow at least... :)

Without seeing your website design … all apps that have perfect kerning capabilities (e.g. C4D).

FYI: The AD AP detour produces difficulties with text. We hope 1.5 will have an answer.

For sure a 3D modeller offers the best tools, in particular because you can deal with a real third dimension (not a fake one).

But, for such a project, even in a 3D application I'd map textures to a surface maybe? 

So why are you speaking about kerning capabilities?

Do you compose websites or apps mockups directly using C4D text tool? 

So why are you speaking about kerning capabilities?

Do you compose websites or apps mockups directly using C4D text tool? 

We don’t know what JonathanCopeland presents, but kerning should not be ignored in any medium and software. So, why not write about it?

If you compose everything in one app, it is easier to make changes. JonathanCopeland started in AD and must switch to AP, which means difficulties if texts have to be changed in AD.

kerning should not be ignored in any medium and software. So, why not write about it?

Totally agree, but in his case it is the very last problem, looking at the sample he showed us I guess...

Maybe not a problem at all as far as you're dealing with rasterised layers, and (in my opinion) there is no reason to keep anything editable in this case.

With continuous export the placed picture is two clicks far from a refresh.

This could be perfectly achievable entirely in AD, but it doesn't feature (yet) a distortion tool/filter.

PS. A refresh button for the embedded document should be very useful...  :)

Not always... In this case I still think it is useless, I'll never change a large amount of text directly on a distorted layer fake-projection.

I do prefer to solve the problem in a much more flexible way, keeping everything safe and clean: multiple files, different purposes, few steps to sync anything.

The video shows that you can do it easily.