You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where do I find a sepia (and other colour filters) and how do I apply them?

I am working on an image that I want to change with a 'lens filter', as if I had used for example a sepia filter or any other colour. To either warm up or cool down the whole image. 

Like to many I used to work with Photoshop and there was a list of said filters amongst blur, sharpen etc. I might have missed it, :blink: can't find it there, can't find any references that explain where I find them in the help files either and in the affinity tutorials I also come up empty.

Any suggestions and links much appreciated  :)

• Staff

Hi Ravenowl,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Have you tried the Lens Filter Adjustment (menu Layer ▸ New Adjustment Layer ▸ Lens Filter Adjustment)? You can also access it through the Adjustments icon on the bottom of the Layers panel.

For filters/effects go to menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer or click the Live Filters icon on the bottom of the Layers panel. For regular filters (destructive) go to menu Filters.

• 1 year later...

I can't get any of this to work if starting from a B/W image. I have scanned in old black & white photos (as jpgs) and would like to give them a sepia tint. Everything I try though starts from a B/W base  and stays B/W.. Just to make things more difficult any attempt use the Topaz B/W plugin is also doomed as for some unknown reason all plugins are greyed out.. The problems are doubtless unrelated but add to the irritation.   

• 2 years later...

Hello, 
I am puzzled by the lens filter adjustment; when you open the dialogue box, it is set to orange and there is no way that I have discovered to change that set color. And don't get me wrong, I like that filter color and use it a lot; actually in a previous editor I had set the printer profile to a similar color because it adds a nice patina to most of my prints.

So what  I am wondering and desiring clarification about is: Did Affinity discover the usefulness of this color as a universal solvent (as I have) and design it to be an unalterable color, or am I just too dense to figure out how to change it?

Thank You and Regards

5 hours ago, tombo said:

I am puzzled by the lens filter adjustment; when you open the dialogue box, it is set to orange and there is no way that I have discovered to change that set color.

In the Lens Filter window, click on the orange color rectangle to open the filter color selector.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Just found this topic while searching for an answer on this as well.

What I found works really well but is a bit of a departure from the lens filter adjustment is to actually used the replace colour feature. It changes the whole documents base colour and has HSL adjustments that allow you to dial in any monochromatic look or colour you want.