You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is a strange question but it keeps happening on my Mac. Does AD "remember" what is in a previous doc I worked on earlier in the day and then lose this memory when I move the earlier docs. Here's the situation which has happened over and over again. I'm working in 1.4.2 but the same thing happened in 1.4.1. Jim

1. I work on a large doc with many layers, save it the current date followed by a letter (e.g., 160610a).

2. As I work through the day I change the letter after the date to have a back up, sometimes up reaching "k"

3, Everything is fine until (as I am working on the doc) I move my previous copies of the same doc to my Dropbox to have a backup, and then move these recent files to my "x-old" folder to clear the main doc folder and leave only the present version of the doc in this main doc folder. In other words, my entire day's work on this one doc is backed up both on the Dropbox and in my "x-old" folder with only the current doc I'm working on left in my main doc folder.

4. When I immediately return to continue my work on the same doc, my recent work is gone, replaced by an earlier version of that day's work. Everything in the Finder looks good, and if I close the doc and bring it up again, all of my recent work is there as it should be.

5. Of course, I can simply not move anything until I shut down for the day, or I can close my current doc and bring it up again, but the mystery remains. I do not see that it is a Finder problem since when I bring up the doc afresh (without a reboot), all is well. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Staff

4. When I immediately return to continue my work on the same doc, my recent work is gone, replaced by an earlier version of that day's work. Everything in the Finder looks good, and if I close the doc and bring it up again, all of my recent work is there as it should be.

When you move the currently open document to another folder, do you get the message in the app stating that the file is being updated? When the file has moved can you see objects within your document disappear?

Your issue could be related to this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15265-original-file-is-not-written-to-when-saved-only-when-closed/

• Staff

I think this is a different issue.

If you rename a file in Finder, or move it, while it is open, Affinity should update the filename in the app.  Unix systems use symbolic file links, so if you have a file open you can move it or rename it, but any file read/write is done on the original file.  Affinity keeps file handles open, so it will keep writing to your original file even if you move or rename it.  If you want to write to a new filename, do a Save-As in Affinity so that it is now tracking a new file.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB