You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Nige

I've got the file and have looked at it already

Are you opening the PDF back in Affinity Designer to check the size? If so it seems to open it using the points units instead of pixels. Presuming you exported at 300DPI, if you go to document setting and switch the units back to pixels you should see the values that you are expecting. Also when opening a PDF you also get the option to set DPI there, which sometimes it estimates, so make sure that also says 300DPI otherwise it might display double the pixel values!

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hiya,

No, I open it in Preview and saw it was small and using 'Get Info' on the file in the finder gives me the resolution of 841 x 595. The export is defiantly set to 300 dpi and changing the option to 'use document resolution' makes no difference - I still get a small file. The document is set to the correct pixel size.

Thanks,

Nige.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nige,

I think the problem you have is that you are not comparing the same units of measurement. Your original document is A4 at 300dpi. When you use the 'Get Info' on the exported PDF in the Apple Finder, the resolution displayed is in 'Points' not 'Pixels', as Chris_K mentioned above. So the PDF is the correct resolution.

3,507.9px x 2,480.3px = 841.9pt x 595.3pt = 297mm x 210mm

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I still don't understand why preview would open the file and display it as it were 841 x 595 pixels, and when I zoom in the quality deteriorates as expected on a low res file. When I open the pdf from Graphic, it fills my monitor and looks great.

Thanks,

Nige.

Hi Nige,

Preview is displaying the PDF using 'Points' rather than 'Pixels' which is why you are seeing the PDF as 841 x 595. In Pixels your A4, 300dpi file is 3508px x 2481px. This same file when measured in 'Points' is 841pt x 595pt and in millimetres 297mm x 210mm.

If you open the exported PDF file in Affinity Designer and go to the Document Setup from the File Menu and make sure you are displaying the size in pixels, you will see it is still 3508px x 2481px.

Out of interest (not that it makes any difference) is your source image a vector graphic or a photograph and are you using Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo?

S

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Hiya,

Thanks, I understand the size issues here, but I guess I suspect that the export from Affinity is the problem and not preview. The export from Graphic is a very similar process using Apple's export api's but the pdf opens fine. The document is a vector one with a .png graphic in it.

Thanks,

Nigel.

Hi,

Are you able to PM the file in question to me. I appreciate it is a client file, so I'll ensure I delete it afterwards...

Thanks

Simon

Hi,

PM sent with a link to the PDF I've exported from AffinitiyDesigner... Let me know if this is what you are seeing when exporting?

S

Crop Tool does not work. The associated pop up tools do not come up like with the crop tool, like line tool, straighten etc. do not appear.  These all show on the tutorial

There is an undo tool under edit for the person who was looking for that.

Hi,

Can you PM a screenshot of what you are seeing when you open the PDF as to me it appears as a print resolution PDF and identical to the source file.

Thanks

Simon

Hi,

That isn't what I'm seeing at all, so trying to figure out where the issue is...

Two questions:

a. Have you tried opening the pdf in Acrobat Reader, does it appear the same, i.e. low resolution?

b. Is the 'Smooth text and line art' checkbox checked under the Apple Preview PDF preferences?

Cheers

Simon

Just sent a PM of a zoomed in screen shot of the PDF I sent you...

Hi Nige,

Any joy? Have you tried opening the PDF either you created, or the one I sent yesterday in Affinity Designer. You should be able to zoom into the text infinitely without any pixelation as it is vector based, as you should be able to do in Apple Preview or Acrobat Reader. I'm struggling to think why you are seeing bitmapped text unless there is a font issue on your Mac, but that seems unlikely.

Simon

HI,

When I opened yours up I had the same problem - zooming in and the text is not anti-aliased. However, when I selected some of the text in the document and highlighted it the text suddenly popped back to being anti-aliased! It would seem that there is a display problem with my mac and the text is not being anti-aliased properly in preview.

Many thanks for your help,

nige.

Hi,

Strange, I'm trying to think what could cause that on a mac! Are you able to view the PDF on another mac or pc, that should 100% confirm that the file is okay... Out of interest which version of OSX are you currently running?

Simon