You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

macbook pro 'other' section being filled up

Hi,

I really need some help with Affinity Photo (an Apple advisor asked me to get in touch as we're both stumped). I'm having a problem where I'm editing RAW photos from an external drive, exporting the developed JPEG back onto the same external drive, but the pesky 'other' section on my macbook is getting larger with each photo export. We're guessing its some kind of cache or auto back up type thing in the program, but we can't find where the stuff is being saved to, or how to stop it. I'd really appreciate some help as I have a wedding to finish editing and no space left on my mac to do it because the other section is full up. I have signed up to post in the forums on your website, but I'm waiting to be verified. Thank you!

Please help! I've looked through all the forums, tried to clear the cache and there's nothing in there. I tried to find the part where you can change the auto save time (minimum 30 seconds etc) but I don't have that option in my preferences?

I've had to delete literally every file I had on my macbook in order to carry on editing photos from my last wedding shoot and I'm rapidly running out of space. I don't know what to do and Apple had no idea either!

When you open the RAW files in AP & develop them, do you save a copy of that to your MacBook before you close the file's window in AP? If not, you should be getting a warning about unsaved changes before it will close. Do you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't save a copy to my mac, so I do get the message that says 'close without saving', which I do because I've already exported it to my drive. 

Its also making me photos grainier than they are in preview. Any reason for this? Its probably an obvious thing but I've never noticed it before

I'm sure you already have thought of this, but just to troubleshoot;

What program do you use to import the pictures, and how are the settings?

I import with Lightroom and make an extra copy to my Mac, maybe this is what happens?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just open my RAW photos with cmd+O in Affinity Photo. 

The thing that's really confusing is that I can't find any files anywhere on my mac relating to the ones I'm working on. There's just this steady increase of file space being used up...! 

• 1 year later...