You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Docking palettes to a new column

For the way I work, I need to have the layers palette expanded vertically as long as I can get it. This way I can "drill" down to the specific sub-sub layer with a minimum of fuss, i.e. scrolling. So is there a way to have a second column "docked" to the main palette column? This way the document window will be sized to fit the remaining area in fullscreen/attached mode. That's how I have my UI for Manga Studio setup and it works quite well. This way I can have layers and the transform palette in one column and Colors, Effects and the Navigator in the other column. 

I can see that on some MBP's this would take up way too much Screen Real Estate, but on my 27" iMac, I got room to spare.

I'm posting this in Questions, because there may be something that I'm unaware of (some undocumented or buried method to to this second column docking). In which case, I'd appreciate know how to do it. If it isn't then I'll repost this in the Feature Request section.

Thanks!

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Separated mode works, true. But that means giving up the full screen mode and I can't use control-tab to cycle through open documents. I've become very enamored with using the full screen mode/ attached mode, I feel like I work faster in it. But if it can't be done, I can deal with it. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm holding off making a feature request, as this is a fiddling small thing and you guys have enough on your code-plates at this time. :)

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

It won't be worth it for the little I'll gain compared to what  I'll be losing (tabbed documents, shortcuts and not having to resize windows). This means I'll have to reset the settings in my Wacom Tablet (have buttons to cycle through windows and will have to "give up" one of the buttons to the new shortcut) and for my ShuttlePro (same issue as with the wacom). It'll be better to just deal with a floating Layers palette and working around that limitation. That limitation is when I zoom to fit, I always have to manually zoom out to fit the image within the viewable area; since the layers palette is floating it is ignored for zoom-to-fit -- and that's the way it 'should' be.

BTW, why are the window cycling  shortcuts different from fullscreen (CTL-TAB)  and fullscreen separated (CTL-Left/Right cursor arrows)? It's just a bit off-putting to have different commands to do basically the same thing.

But like I wrote earlier, this is a itty-bitty thing and not worth the trouble  for the suggested work-arounds. 

I'm just used to an interface I can customize in most every way and it's clear that AD isn't up to that point. Not a deal-breaker in any respect, but something to adjust to. Until it changes. If it does. But right now, I'm perfectly content to deal with the interface as it stands. 

---