You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Colour difference in Affinity Photo

Hi

I just opened a raw image taken with my Pixel 8 pro phone in A Photo (2.5.3) with a view to editing it as I prefer to use AP than Snapseed etc. on the phone. I use XNView MP to view my pictures, & it looked the same as on the phone & as I remember it when I took it, however, when I opened it in AP, the colour difference was amazing. I tried upping the saturation & vibrance, but couldn't get it anywhere near the raw image.

Any suggestions?? See attached pdf. I created this by using the snip tool & just copying the image from XNView & AP

Thanks

u3a landscape photo comparison.pdf

Can you upload the RAW file to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Not sure why it displays like that as it is in the supported camera list

If you are using a Mac you could try switching to the Apple (core image raw) engine  in the assistant manager settings to see if that works better

Other than that, someone else may be able to shed some light on what the problem may be

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm not seeing an issue. Just need to take your time.

googlephone.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.5..; Affinity Designer 2.5..; Affinity Publisher 2.5..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks for your comments.

I don't understand why the WB would be "wrong". I never change WB in AP (at least, I haven't yet). I've just opened a number of photos in AP & they all come up with slightly different WB - my camera is on auto WB - & they all look pretty much the same as they do when I view them in XNView. Seems like it's just the phone that's causing issues.

I opened the same image in Photoscape X & there it looks all washed out too, but in Darktable, it looked just slightly lighter than the raw image. I've sent a message to Google asking if they have a solution

@DebSki On my MacBook Pro, the Affinity Develop Persona initially opens all my RAW images using my camera's "As Shot" WB. If I have set my digital camera to Daylight WB, AP opens the file with that WB. If my camera is set to Auto WB, then AP opens with the camera's best guess at WB, etc. BTW, I always convert my Canon RAW files to DNG format before opening them. 

I assume WB info must come from the metadata in the file. I'm not sure of the exact format or how that info is encoded in the metadata. Perhaps your phone camera's metadata doesn't conform to the same standard, or perhaps it has to do with HDR data the camera is creating. There seems to be a number of cameras where glitches happen, or the camera isn't fully supported. There was a recent thread on another phone camera where the file format supplied by the phone manufacturer was perhaps incorrect. I didn't follow that discussion closely.

I think most viewers display the small (or large) embedded JPG created by the camera when the file is written. When creating the JPG version, the camera uses the settings you have chosen for color space, brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness, WB, etc, and creates this JPG. That will usually not be the same as what the RAW software will see, at least initially. Having said that, your WB in this image is WAY off. Perhaps somebody with a better understanding of metadata and encoding may be able to offer an explanation.

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.7, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

Opening it in ART gives this WB:

image.png.d46d8beed1149cc6aded0551a23522ee.png

Setting Photo to those same (or equivalent) values gets closer but not the same. The lens vignetting correction is in metadata, but I can't say why Photo is apparently misreading the WB.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        Flickr

On 7/10/2024 at 8:27 AM, Ron P. said:

I'm not seeing an issue. Just need to take your time.

Could you be a bit more specific as your screenshot looks like how the file should be displayed but no one else has got close to that

When you opened the file did it look similar to the screenshot you posted and you just tweaked it a little

Or did you see the same miscoloured RAW image as in the OP's PDF file they uploaded and you had to change several things to get it looking like you did

If the latter, then when processing the RAW file can you specify the OUTPUT: as Embedded then save the APhoto file. Then uploading it here should enable others to see what changes were done to it to achieve those results

When I opened the file, no it did not. I saw the same as others. I done what I posted, took my time, and worked all the Develop sliders.

Sure I'll go through it again and upload the file.

Affinity Photo 2.5..; Affinity Designer 2.5..; Affinity Publisher 2.5..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Ok, here it is. I also attached my exported image from developing it. ... That took about 30 min to upload. Right now my ISP is about as slow as you can get without it being dial-up. I have DSL, it's suppose to be 10mbs download, and 3mbps upload. The upload is only .8mbps. The service provider, Brightspeed are a-holes. Can't get them to do anything. Don't have any alternatives either.

PXL_20240707_034752763.RAW-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240707_034752763.RAW-02.ORIGINAL.afphoto

@DebSki A few questions...trying to narrow down the issue.

Does this WB issues happen with all RAW images from this Google Pixel phone, or just this one, isolated image?

Did you apply some new/different settings in your phone before taking this particular image (HDR, compression, color space, etc)? If so, does the same thing happen on ALL images with those same settings applied?

Do RAW files from other cameras display with better WB using Photo default settings? Images from my Canon DSLR always seem to display with my "As Shot" WB in the Develop Persona, and it's usually pretty close.

As mentioned in my previous post, some Samsung phones allegedly do not conform to some correct DNG standards and result in problems during processing, or with metadata. It appears these problems may be due to an update by Samsung. I know you have a Google Pixel phone, but this got me to questioning if it is a similar issue (ruling out the above and other similar issues). Here's a link to that discussion.

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.7, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

I've just openedimage.png.1edc6dd253bf64bebbe638e55a41ea71.png another image & the same has happened. Colour very washed out. I don't think I changed any settings. When in Pro mode, the Pixel saves both raw & jpg files & you can choose which to edit. I've downloaded the image from Google Photos to my PC & then opened in AP. Strangely in the above picture, the pink is fine, but the greens are washed out, but in the previous photo (sunrise) the reds had all but disappeared.

It's a bit frustrating, but I do have the option of editing in Snapseed on the phone - which I don't really enjoy, but I guess will do the trick for the time being. Especially as I mainly use my DSLR & only use the phone if I don't have DSLR with me

The Samsung thread was interesting. Perhaps there's a similar fix for Google Pixel coming - can but hope

Thanks

image.png.7646b628ef8dfdb705e3a828354f8756.png

@DebSki Have you tried changing to a different "mode" or different camera settings to see if that works?

No. Not tried anything else. I don't often process photos taken with my phone, so it's not a big issue, just a bit frustrating, but then, perhaps that's what Snapseed's for

• Staff

Hi @DebSki,

Thanks for your post and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here as our team are exceptionally busy due to our current 50% sale & extended trial offer.

I believe there are 2 things happening here, causing the issue/difference with your images.

Firstly - when viewing the RAW file on your phone, in XNview, Google Photos etc - you wont be viewing the RAW data, instead you will be shown the embedded JPEG file, which will have post-processing applied by your camera, causing the image to appear nicely saturated, etc.

When opening the RAW file in Affinity, you will be shown the 'RAW' data itself, with no post-processing applied, which can look different from the embedded JPEG.

This is expected behaviour when editing RAW files in any app, the RAW data is unlikely to be a 1-to-1 match for the post-processed embedded JPEG file.

However - I do believe that the RAW file you've provided above opening at -48% White Balance Tint appears to be a bug when developing this file, as it certainly seems like a very extreme value that is changing the overall 'look' of the image, more than I'd expect.

I've downloaded a few sample files from the Pixel Pro 8 and I'm seeing similar issues with White Balance in other images, for example:

RAW viewer:

image.png

Affinity Photo 2:

image.png

Note the 'tint' seems to be closer to expected values, but the 'temperature' is too high of a value, causing a yellow cast.

This appears to be a bug with all RAW images from this camera, with the White balance being incorrectly set - so I'm getting it logged with our development team now.

I hope this helps :)