You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On iMAc, Affinity Photo "quitting unexpectedly"

Greetings!

I have Affinity Photo for my new iMac (January, 2016). Sporadically, when I launch Affinity Photo either from the Dock or r-clicking the menu on a Fuji .raf file, the app will attempt to open, and suddenly quit. A report is generated that states is being sent to Apple. Since I purchased it from the App Store, I called Apple, and they suggested an uninstall/reinstall of the app, but wouldn't support me further. 

My question to you is, IF i did uninstall/reinstall, would the app know I have purchased it, or where is the license file stored? Also, my system config is as follows:

OSX El Capitan

2 TB Fusion Drive

8GB DRAM

Is this configuration adequate to support Affinity Photo and editing of my 24 MB Fuji .raf files?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Steve Solomon

steve@totalqualityphoto.com

My question to you is, IF i did uninstall/reinstall, would the app know I have purchased it, or where is the license file stored?

Like for all Mac App Store (MAS) purchases, inside the app is a "_MASReceipt" folder with a receipt file in it. The OS uses this file to run up to five checks to verify that that specific Mac has been authorized to run the app. If it has not, the app won't run.

If you uninstall the app, the receipt file is deleted along with the rest of the app, but since it (the app) is still tied to that Apple ID, once you sign in to the MAS app with that same ID, as Paul mentioned you can download a new copy from the Purchased section. Because that copy includes a receipt file keyed to that Mac, it is already authorized so you don't have to do that as a separate step.

So normally, the only time you have to worry about authorization as a separate step is if you copy the app from one Mac to another or if you erase the drive or install a new one & that changes the UUID of the Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7