You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Correction with X-Rite Colorchecker Passport

21 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

if this is still an outstanding item?

Yes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Hi all, just seeing this is a long thread with no recent replies, I'm a relatively new Affinity Photo customer and haven't seen support for X-Rite in the product yet.  Can anyone confirm if this is still an outstanding item?  Many thanks.

Yes, the issue is still there but I gave up.
Also, a decent RAW import is still missing for a long time in Affintiy.
Color issues I reported for years are still not resolved and I decided to add Capture one Pro 12 to my edit tools.
Amazing what that tool does in combination with Affinity. All works super fast and stable.
I started with Lightroom, but I left Lightroom quite quick behind because I was not satisfied wrt forward and back working fro lightroom to Photoshop or affinity and back for further editing in Light room.
Too much focused on on direction flow from Lighroom to Photoshop only. All small file icons in Photoshop are also not working in windows so I dropped it. It did not improve my speed. Also tethering is really buggy and cannot be trusted. Noise reduction and highlight correctio are way better in capture one and also the color checker passport also works perfectly in Capture one.
Capture one is much more advanced, works superb and stable and integrates better with affinity photo.
You also can easily go forward and back between the tools.
That didn't work so well in Lightroom. 

See the youtube below how all works wrt color checker passport, Raw edit and go in to Affinty and back to Capture one.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, I like capture one but being that it's price is double the price of the Lightroom / Photoshop bundle, unless you are doing this as a pro it's not really sensible to shift to capture one, I would just go back to Lightroom instead.  It's actually a real problem finding a decent photo management application.  Only Exposure comes close at a reasonable price, the others I've tried are either too expensive or missing basic features.  Anyway, I solved my problem by downloading the X-Rite colour checker calibration app and using the Tif method (3rd tab in the app), then importing the ICC profile into Affinity.  A bit clunky, but not too different to Lightroom now.  The worst part is that colour checker puts the ICC profile in a different folder to which Affinity is looking creating unnecessary extra steps.  I'm surprised affinity haven't fixed this to be honest, it wouldn't be hard to scan two folders instead of one.

Thanks for your reply, I'll watch your video to see what I can learn.

Marshalleq.

12 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Thanks, I like capture one but being that it's price is double the price of the Lightroom / Photoshop bundle, unless you are doing this as a pro it's not really sensible to shift to capture one, I would just go back to Lightroom instead.  It's actually a real problem finding a decent photo management application.  Only Exposure comes close at a reasonable price, the others I've tried are either too expensive or missing basic features.  Anyway, I solved my problem by downloading the X-Rite colour checker calibration app and using the Tif method (3rd tab in the app), then importing the ICC profile into Affinity.  A bit clunky, but not too different to Lightroom now.  The worst part is that colour checker puts the ICC profile in a different folder to which Affinity is looking creating unnecessary extra steps.  I'm surprised affinity haven't fixed this to be honest, it wouldn't be hard to scan two folders instead of one.

Marshalleq.

I like capture one but being that it's price is double the price of the Lightroom / Photoshop bundle. WAIT until black Friday deals because as I understand it you can pick up Capture One for near 1/2 price. I am waiting for that as I agree the price is quite high, especially if like me it is a hobby.  Russ.

The thing is it’s a subscription. And the buy it now price only applies to the current version so you have to pay again on the next version. Very strange pricing model. Perhaps there’s an upgrade price on the next version but I haven’t seen it advertised. 

13 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

The thing is it’s a subscription. And the buy it now price only applies to the current version so you have to pay again on the next version. Very strange pricing model. Perhaps there’s an upgrade price on the next version but I haven’t seen it advertised. 

The yearly price was also the case for years at Adobe lightroom and Photoshop. There is no difference here.
You also get an upgrade offer is you like, but you are not obliged to upgrade.  You also can work with the tool for more years. That's not a strange model.
You have at least a choice. If you are intended to uypgrade continuesly, the subscriptions is way cheaper.  It is just your private business model that makes the choice.
With Adobe you do not even have a choice. 
Like @Russ W said, wait for an offer, being black friday or such. The price is half of it and with it cheaper than Adobe.
If you are a student, you also can request for a lower price.
It's clearly stated that you get a reduced price on upgrading.
https://www.captureone.com/en/pricing/capture-one-pro

image.png.61bba4b9841d202bd563c23ad9307c9c.png

Also if you take an anual subscription w/o special offers:
219 Euro / 12 = 18,25 per month. That's lower priced than Adobe

Thanks, I'm really just saying that if I move away from Adobe because it's too expensive, (which I have) I'm not going to move to an even more expensive product.  I take your point on the upgrade pricing, that's great to know, though I doubt very much that will be included in a Black Friday deal.  Most places usually advertise the upgrade price so you know what you're getting into - it's kind of this that is weird, I personally don't find it easy with this one product to understand it's pricing.  For example I thought it was 4 times the price because they don't actually tell you it's been converted to your local currency, most places will write NZD beside the price if it's not USD and in my currency.  It'd also be good to know what an upgrade price is and historical Black Friday prices - but if I'm having to wait around for these kinds of deals and times and info I am of course going to look elsewhere first.  Lucky for them, there probably isn't another really competitor - except ironically Lightroom at half the price.

Given your comment that subscription is the cheapest if you're perpetually upgrading, then I'd just switch back to Lightroom as that gives me an automatic 50% off.  This is probably the most valuable statement you gave and what I was really wanting to know.  So thanks, I will be skipping capture one assuming this remains true.  (Happy to hear what you think is wrong with what I said).

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

Thanks, I'm really just saying that if I move away from Adobe because it's too expensive, (which I have) I'm not going to move to an even more expensive product.  I take your point on the upgrade pricing, that's great to know, though I doubt very much that will be included in a Black Friday deal.  Most places usually advertise the upgrade price so you know what you're getting into - it's kind of this that is weird, I personally don't find it easy with this one product to understand it's pricing.  For example I thought it was 4 times the price because they don't actually tell you it's been converted to your local currency, most places will write NZD beside the price if it's not USD and in my currency.  It'd also be good to know what an upgrade price is and historical Black Friday prices - but if I'm having to wait around for these kinds of deals and times and info I am of course going to look elsewhere first.  Lucky for them, there probably isn't another really competitor - except ironically Lightroom at half the price.

Given your comment that subscription is the cheapest if you're perpetually upgrading, then I'd just switch back to Lightroom as that gives me an automatic 50% off.  This is probably the most valuable statement you gave and what I was really wanting to know.  So thanks, I will be skipping capture one assuming this remains true.  (Happy to hear what you think is wrong with what I said).

Thanks.

OK, I've put the prices here below as per today: (No actions)

Adobe LR + PS = 12,09 Euro per month (Yearly subscription)
Adobe Creative Cloud Student = 19,66 per month or 62 Euro otherwise
There is no possibility for a version package download w/o subscription

Capture One = 18,50 per Month (Yearly subscription)
Capture one for Students: ~ 76,65 per year (depending the study => ~6,50 per month

Possibility for a version package download w/o subscription (349 Euro)
Upgrade from up to max 3 versions lower = +/- 299 Euro (So ~50 Euro off)

Capture one pro also offer special versions with limited camera connections for tethering):
Eg: Capture one pro for Nikon, Sony or Fuiji cameras only, full package, no subscription: costs 229 Euro

Based on your version, upgrade prices might differ. These are just prices I know and which I found.
Because it may differ per situation update prices are not really transparant, but you can request for those.
They will react. 
Also if you buy a version and a major release comes within a certain time after you bought your version, you can upgrade for free.
Therefore they ask for your license code first. It all depends to your version. 

Just some addition wrt to perfomances between Adobe and Capture one + Affinity and  "the cheapest" professional solution.

Performance
Lightroom vs Capture one was tested on Apple's new Apple Studio M1 max and Ultra
Same for Affinty Photo performance

You'll find that Lightroom will significal improve by spending more money on hardware. 
However, compare those values against the values of capture one and you'll see that Capture one is already way faster than Lightroom on the fastest hardware today, not matter if you buy a Max or an Ultra.
If you want to save money, you better can invest in capture one than in more expensive hardware to get Adobe running at perfomances like Capture one.
Also, if you want top performance also for affinity photo, the Apple Ultra is 2x as fast as the Max for Affinity Photo.
(Apple Max is already blowing off your experience with amazing performance)
Anyhow, if you go for the more expensive hardware and capture one will come with an update with optimized performance for the Ultra, the combination of Capture one and Affinty Photo is jumping far forward compared to Adobe's performance. Adobe is serious behind w.r.t. perfomance, output quality, efficiency, perfomance and the possibilities, capture one and affinity offer.

Cheapest Solution:
If you really want to go cheap; register at Adobe, install Adobe Brigde. Brigde is lightroom but it accepts organizing much more file types.
Bridge require you to organize your folder structure yourself instead of structures and a big imngae pool like the set up from lightroom.
It works faster and more reliable when you move folders. Lightroom get lost here. Moving folders is Lightroom is reeaaalllyyy slow...
However, tethering is not possible as far I know. 

Bridge and Affinity or Adobe Elements
Add Adobe photoshop Elements or affinity to Bridge to get a complete Photo edit package and this is the cheapest way to go with professional software.
Affimity is even cheaper than Elements and offers way more and better editing, so I would advice Affinity instead of elements.
You can export to tiff from Bridge and edit the tiff in Affinity. Save it in tiff again and Bridge will accept the updated file jus like Capture one does (but slower).
Color checker pasport is also possible with Bridge. 
After a trial period, you decide to stop your (free trial) subscription, = no license, and Adobe brigde is free for use!
There are no licenses obliged for bridge and you will get all updates and camera Raw updates for free.
Adobe does not tell this but this is what they offer, complete legal, w/o work arounds. You can read it on many places if you know this and search for it.
Bridge offers all options like in Lightroom and combined with Adobe Elements most used functions from Photoshop are available too.
Combine Bridge with Affinity and you are ready to go for a cheap professional and reliable solution w/o any subscription. 

Source Performance tests:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6821380037/apple-m1-ultra-vs-m1-max-head-to-head-shootout
https://appleinsider.com/inside/mac-studio/vs/compared-mac-studio-with-m1-max-versus-mac-studio-with-m1-ultra

GL

• 6 months later...
38 minutes ago, tonyrambler said:

I'd like to bump this thread up again, as this is still an important missing feature in Photo 2.0.

Bump it on but you won't get any joy it's been years now and they are not interested, had a great chance to offer it up in ver 2  and that is one reason I didn't buy Ver 2.

I gave up, started with Lightroom to get this, but found this was also not always what I wanted.
These days I use Capture One, which became my favourite photo adjustment and management tools today.
I can use the color card, but also can adjust colors very nice and well.
Just for special purposes I export to Affinity Photo. I lost a lot of charm over the years, just like photoshop.
Lightroom and Capture one are so advanced that 80% of my work can be don inhere and also very fast.

With version 2.0 I even got more issues with Affinity.
1) Wacom does not recognise Affinity any longer since they put Affinity in some weird location and a exe file cannot be found.
I cannot create separate settings and action anymore for my wacom for when Affinity is active. Realy a shame...  So I searched fot the Photo.exe location... step 2

2) They spent lots of time to make the program almost invisible on you drives. Try to find Photo.exe for version 2.0, needed to instruct some programs. 
3) Icon-graphics were in my honest opinion better in the previous version, v1.0
4) Template selection was faster and I liked it more in v1.0

For me I like many other updates, but I'm not really happy the points above, they even disapoints me and I could not choose for v1.0 Gui style
Still missing color checker pasport options, a good RAW convertor or at least on that is supported by Affinity, missing red Masking, missing the the posibility to read the sidecars from Nikon NX Studio etc. etc.

It's also very hard to make backups now, to find the stored settings and where the store al of these, also import of all settings from v1.0 to v2.0 didn't work. So I needed to start over again. Lot of work is gone.  Very bad experience here.
I've no clue how and why they spent so much effort on these items while other major parts are still not working as expected. They alreay have limited capacity. I would have spent my time on more inportant parts, but ok, I'm nit them. 
Affinity costs me a lot of effort again to reinstall and re configure all settings. It should speed-up my workflow but did not.
Still like it, but only as extension to Capture One, here it is a golden combi.

The combination Publisher, designer and Photo works perfect. Also like it very much.
In that sense, for me still a better option than Adobe LR + PS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, this should be a high priority!  And reminding them is a good idea.  I had a thread like this over at roonlabs, which lasted for something like four years.  In the end we got what we asked for, even though it took a long time.  And I think a key part of that success was that everyone kept chiming in and keeping the thread alive, it was even split and rejoined a few times due to the conversation.  So it definitely doesn't hurt to speak up and should not be discouraged, it takes only a little time after all and shouldn't offend anyone if you're polite.

• 6 months later...
On 6/6/2016 at 3:52 AM, metaweb20 said:

Does Affinity Photo have a built-in feature to calibrate colors across a series of different photos using a tool such as X-Rite Colorchecker Passport which is integrated into other photo and video applications?

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks, Frank

No, the request for this to Affinity is open (also at my side) for many years already. 

And to be honest, raw import - color handling - is pretty bad in Affinity, so I would strongly advice to use other tools when it comes to raw color imput handling.
Affinity It belongs in my opinion to the worst programs when it comes to raw import, therefore add eg DXO pure raw in front of it.
I used Affinity for raw at the start already, tested it by time, but it is really comes with aweful results with raw color import.
Therefore I never used Affinty that way anymore .
How I use Affinity:
My advice is to always combine it with a decent raw convertor like DXO pure Raw, of Capture one, or Nikon NX studio or such or just use compressed tiff's and move those forward to Affinity, than it will work fine. That way you also get around non supported cameras like Nikon Z9 and Z8. 

I do all color handling in Capture one. (c1)
That works perfect and you can acht on very specific colors, even colors separated on high-, mid-, or low-lights, you can combine this with (intellgent) (red layered) masking on images parts, skin colors etc and it can read the color card and ajust to it.
There are video's availble on YT how this works, but the colors are in 98% more nice using the color management of C1 itself.
C1 is an awesome tool when it comes to color management. The adjustment tools in c1 are superb, and for this C1 also became recognized into the promarket.
It is seen as a high quality color management tool, if not the best. It's color correct and razor fast
Forget color management like X-rite (or calibrite, today) in affinity.
Color card implementations are not implemented even after years of requests , so I don't expect it anymore.
You better can have a look to add DXO pure raw than waiting for Affinity it will disappoint you. 
But once yo have added those, affinity is an awesome tool to work with.

https://calibrite.com/?noredirect=en-GB

https://www.dxo.com/dxo-pureraw/

https://www.captureone.com/en

Succes

3 hours ago, WMax70 said:

My advice is to always combine it with a decent raw convertor like DXO pure Raw, of Capture one, or Nikon NX studio or such or just use compressed tiff's and move those forward to Affinity, than it will work fine. That way you also get around non supported cameras like Nikon Z9 and Z8. 

Capture One USD$576 for perpetual licence - renewable at each version so not actually perpetual.  Or USD$28.65 per month. No thanks.  May as well just get Adobe suite at that price.  This is always the problem, they're competing with Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and that space and yet nobody actually competes.

19 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

Capture One USD$576 for perpetual licence - renewable at each version so not actually perpetual.  Or USD$28.65 per month. No thanks.  May as well just get Adobe suite at that price.  This is always the problem, they're competing with Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and that space and yet nobody actually competes.

I also have PS and worked with Adobe LR.
I dropped LR, because it was a hassle program, slow and bad noise canceling. 
I shoot al lot with high ISO (2500-4000) in chuches for ceremonies and shoot on industial locations, using remote tethering. 

Since a very short period Adobe added great Noice canceling, but that's very slow. Imo not usefull for large amounts of photo's.
Within C1, this goos very fast. No issue. 
PS added AI, that is the reason I started the licence again.
The power inhere is that it can add AI renders in small parts of a picture, taking out unwanted parts and intelligent content replacements works excelent.
But when it comes to handling of images, just simple things like a rotated image in PS, and getting it back straight is a hell of a job. Affinity remembers the original position and you can bring it back far more eassy. And such are many in Affinity. 
Just creating a combined layer -> Stamp in PS; Only available with shortcuts and a hassle, but super easy use in Affinty and no issue with combine or selected layers to do. 
Also objects moving in a group, no issues in Affinity, either the grou or the object, but no hassle .
Easy warps in Affinity, also no issues with bigger files.. in Photoshop PSD and PSD, PDD, PSDT, all different files for different file sizes. 
Access to FX, tumbnails view content instead of PS icons etc etc .
Affinity is a clear winner when it goes about speed and intutive handling at a high quality. But Raw import is real a pain here.

Despite teh fact LR and C1 look te same at the first sight, C1 is again much faster, noice canceling, color handling, intelligent AI image adjustments, much more files can be handled in less time, much more easy to manage files, tethring works awesome and stable, camera support is superb.
Working with layers and adding adjustments to layers is amazing. 

Yes, you can buy a PS  LR package and it is cheaper, but when it comes to speed and processing, C1 + Affinity are way faster. 
The C1 package comes with Ipad sw and now even iphone SW. 

For me, fast and accurate handling counts, working less hours and getting things ready in days in stead of a week really makes the difference. For me and my customers.

54 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

They also have those cam related C1 Express versions, though with stripped down (limited) features in contrast to the full blown versions.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ich verwende dafür Master Match. Es ist gerade als Bundle im Abo erhältlich. Ich habe zur Software einen kurzen Post auf meiner Website. Siehe unten.

I use Master Match for that. It’s currently available as subscription in a Black Friday deal. I have a short post to the software on my site. In german language.

https://www.abelbeck.de/farbreferenzen-nutzen-in-affinity-photo/

Thanks for reading.

................................................................................
macOS 10.13.6 | MacBookPro | 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | Affinity Suite

On 5/7/2022 at 5:37 PM, Marshalleq said:

Marshalleq.

I know it’s been a while, but I’ve had some serious struggles with this method (Tif from AP, ICC profile, etc). I’ve gone through all the steps, but no joy. Profiles come out super dark and reds are hot hot hot. I have no idea why this is happening. 
Have you run into similar issues? I just got the color checker to help make my colors more consistent (I’m colorblind and figured having a benchmark would help), but if I can’t use it, it’s definitely not worth the price tag!!

please help!

Edited by PierreChevalier

I'm glad you wrote this, because I had forgotten there was a workaround.  No I didn't run into any issues like this, except maybe that I recall you need to give it exactly the right type of input file that it wants - follow a guide for that.  It's truly been ages but I think it wanted a dng file maybe or along those lines.  It could be that.