You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Jack, welcome. I'm hoping the distort tool(s) will cover all of the expectedl types of distortions in a smooth interactive workflow. I am a logo designer and I agree they are essential for a wide array of tasks.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I am guessing there are no news on warping objects yet? Is there any work around to get something like this quickly:

jHQdXoU.jpg

Can I get at least answer if devs are working on something like that? I did moved entirely to Designer from AI, I dont regret this move. In this case though I could use some help like... Couple times daily ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We purchased Photo and Designer to have a look at them ...... I'll come back in a year and see where Affinity are then.... in the meantime I'll continue using Adobe Fireworks & occassionally Photoshop ... Hopefully a few of the glaring ommissions in Photo and Designer will be there by then like presets for text ant-aliasing, mesh warp,, arc, arch, etc ... at the moment the tools & a bit frustrating to use with such omissions, it seems hard to get a definititve answer from Affinity too, I don't see any direct support.... only forums? You'll end up like Adobe with a total disconnect from your customers if you're ot careful.... I fully expect Adobe to lose a lot of customers inthe next few years

Well let's hope they don't wait another five years until they decide to add such vector based distortion features. - Amadine a brand new, first release Mac related vector software, offers free transform, symmetrical distortion and free distortion for shapes just from the start.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Amadine a brand new, first release Mac related vector software, offers free transform, symmetrical distortion and free distortion for shapes just from the start.

FWIW, I downloaded the trial version of Amadine & have been playing with it for 2 hours or so. These are my first impressions.

Pros:

• Includes several tools Affinity Designer lacks; including the 3 distort tools, plus scissors, knife, & stroke width ones as well.
  • An Appearance panel for creating multiple strokes & fills with extensive controls for how they are combined.
  • Lots of stroke dash & arrowhead options
  • Stroke "Profiles," savable presets that can be applied to other shapes.
  • UI for basic functions reasonably intuitive & similar to that of Designer
  • Cheap, less than ½ the price of Designer.

Cons:

• Mac only
  • Support only for 8 bit RGB, HSB, CMYK, & Greyscale color models; no 16 or 32 bit support.
  • No support for color profiles (that I can find).
  • Text support is somewhat rudimentary -- distort, knife, & scissors tools don't work on text; no glyph browser; typography support (such as it is) is via Mac OS Typography panel.
  • Raster image support is limited to bitmap fills of vector shapes & text objects.
  • Many UI features rely on a hierarchy of popup windows that can't be left open, requiring a lot of extra clicks to make changes.
  • Lacks many refinements like customizable keyboard shortcuts, zoom to selected object, a history panel, etc.
  • Zoom limited to fixed steps (selectable from a popup menu); range is 3% to 6400%
  • Very sparse realtime content updates; outlines only for moving & resizing shapes (like in this tutorial video), no realtime blend mode previews, etc.

I'm sure that as the app is further developed, a lot of the cons will be eliminated, but the minimal support for realtime updates, the poor support for color depth & profiles, & the fixed zoom steps are probably going to be hard to address without a major overhaul of the code base, which could take years to do, assuming they are willing to that.

So ... taking all that into account, I think it is a good example of getting what you pay for. As it is now, I would give it a 3 of 5 star rating at most -- reasonably good value for the money but lacking a lot of features I consider much more important than the ones it has that Affinity Designer lacks.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well let's hope they don't wait another five years until they decide to add such vector based distortion features. - Amadine a brand new, first release Mac related vector software, offers free transform, symmetrical distortion and free distortion for shapes just from the start.

My prediction is that it will be here in two years.

Best regards!

The thing is the warp tools in Photoshop are frequently used and something that is required in both Photo and Designer - its quite common to want to use warp > arc in Photoshop on bitmaps, for example for adding labels to jars, bottles, cans and so on ... often used when creating promotional graphics.

I wonder if Affinity are spreading their resources a bit too thinly with the iPad versions, the new Publisher and the 'HOPEFULLY' seamless integration with Publisher, Designer & Photo when it arrives. Meaning some fundemntal features are too slow to arrive.

If you leave-out fundemental tools that people are using already on a regular basis, then you cannot expect people to make the switch to Affinity on mass even with the fantastic pricing....

We'd pay a lot more and buy several licenses for an integrated all-in-one Photo and Designer with all vector and bitmaps in one and the addition of just a few more frequently used tools.

50 minutes ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

I wonder if Affinity are spreading their resources a bit too thinly with the iPad versions, the new Publisher and the 'HOPEFULLY' seamless integration with Publisher, Designer & Photo when it arrives. Meaning some fundemntal features are too slow to arrive.

I think the same as you. Once they have all apps for all OS (including Android?) I think versions will come up faster.

53 minutes ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

We'd pay a lot more and buy several licenses for an integrated all-in-one Photo and Designer with all vector and bitmaps in one and the addition of just a few more frequently used tools.

I asked the same question and they are very strict that it won't happen.

It could be a good idea if they offer the core app so the user can decide which personas to buy.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

25 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Once they have all apps for all OS (including Android?) I think versions will come up faster.

Everything I’ve read about versions for other OSs suggests to me that an Android version is no more likely than a Linux version or a Chrome OS version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Everything I’ve read about versions for other OSs suggests to me that an Android version is no more likely than a Linux version or a Chrome OS version.

Even better. It means they have to finish Publisher for desktop and iPod and every new version will come out faster.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I downloaded the trial version of Amadine & have been playing with it for 2 hours or so. ...

Another cons, looks like they changed the software requirements for their final initial version, before Amadine was compiled the way to work on/with older OS X versions too, now it runs only on macOS Sierra or higher. - Other than that this software is generally more designed after Autodesk Graphic and the like.

5 hours ago, Mithferion said:

My prediction is that it will be here in two years.

The faster the better, since some competitors also have new software and features in their pipelines.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Another cons, looks like they changed the software requirements for their final initial version, before Amadine was compiled the way to work on/with older OS X versions too, now it runs only on macOS Sierra or higher. - Other than that this software is generally more designed after Autodesk Graphic and the like.

The faster the better, since some competitors also have new software and features in their pipelines.

There's a window of opportunity here for Affinity .... Adobe customers are not happy .....

• 3 years later...