Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Recommended Posts

Hi Jack, welcome. I'm hoping the distort tool(s) will cover all of the expectedl types of distortions in a smooth interactive workflow. I am a logo designer and I agree they are essential for a wide array of tasks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I am guessing there are no news on warping objects yet? Is there any work around to get something like this quickly:

jHQdXoU.jpg

Can I get at least answer if devs are working on something like that? I did moved entirely to Designer from AI, I dont regret this move. In this case though I could use some help like... Couple times daily ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We purchased Photo and Designer to have a look at them ...... I'll come back in a year and see where Affinity are then.... in the meantime I'll continue using Adobe Fireworks & occassionally Photoshop ... Hopefully a few of the glaring ommissions in Photo and Designer will be there by then like presets for text ant-aliasing, mesh warp,, arc, arch, etc ... at the moment the tools & a bit frustrating to use with such omissions, it seems hard to get a definititve answer from Affinity too, I don't see any direct support.... only forums? You'll end up like Adobe with a total disconnect from your customers if you're ot careful.... I fully expect Adobe to lose a lot of customers inthe next few years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well let's hope they don't wait another five years until they decide to add such vector based distortion features. - Amadine a brand new, first release Mac related vector software, offers free transform, symmetrical distortion and free distortion for shapes just from the start.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.5 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.5 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

 Amadine a brand new, first release Mac related vector software, offers free transform, symmetrical distortion and free distortion for shapes just from the start.

FWIW, I downloaded the trial version of Amadine & have been playing with it for 2 hours or so. These are my first impressions.

Pros:

  • Includes several tools Affinity Designer lacks; including the 3 distort tools, plus scissors, knife, & stroke width ones as well.
  • An Appearance panel for creating multiple strokes & fills with extensive controls for how they are combined.
  • Lots of stroke dash & arrowhead options
  • Stroke "Profiles," savable presets that can be applied to other shapes.
  • UI for basic functions reasonably intuitive & similar to that of Designer
  • Cheap, less than ½ the price of Designer.

Cons:

  • Mac only
  • Support only for 8 bit RGB, HSB, CMYK, & Greyscale color models; no 16 or 32 bit support.
  • No support for color profiles (that I can find).
  • Text support is somewhat rudimentary -- distort, knife, & scissors tools don't work on text; no glyph browser; typography support (such as it is) is via Mac OS Typography panel.
  • Raster image support is limited to bitmap fills of vector shapes & text objects.
  • Many UI features rely on a hierarchy of popup windows that can't be left open, requiring a lot of extra clicks to make changes.
  • Lacks many refinements like customizable keyboard shortcuts, zoom to selected object, a history panel, etc.
  • Zoom limited to fixed steps (selectable from a popup menu); range is 3% to 6400%
  • Very sparse realtime content updates; outlines only for moving & resizing shapes (like in this tutorial video), no realtime blend mode previews, etc.

I'm sure that as the app is further developed, a lot of the cons will be eliminated, but the minimal support for realtime updates, the poor support for color depth & profiles, & the fixed zoom steps are probably going to be hard to address without a major overhaul of the code base, which could take years to do, assuming they are willing to that.

So ... taking all that into account, I think it is a good example of getting what you pay for. As it is now, I would give it a 3 of 5 star rating at most -- reasonably good value for the money but lacking a lot of features I consider much more important than the ones it has that Affinity Designer lacks.

All 3 1.10.6, & all 3 V2.03 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.6; Affinity Designer 1.10.6; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well let's hope they don't wait another five years until they decide to add such vector based distortion features. - Amadine a brand new, first release Mac related vector software, offers free transform, symmetrical distortion and free distortion for shapes just from the start.

My prediction is that it will be here in two years.

Best regards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing is the warp tools in Photoshop are frequently used and something that is required in both Photo and Designer - its quite common to want to use warp > arc in Photoshop on bitmaps, for example for adding labels to jars, bottles, cans and so on ... often used when creating promotional graphics.

I wonder if Affinity are spreading their resources a bit too thinly with the iPad versions, the new Publisher and the 'HOPEFULLY' seamless integration with Publisher, Designer & Photo when it arrives. Meaning some fundemntal features are too slow to arrive.

If you leave-out fundemental tools that people are using already on a regular basis, then you cannot expect people to make the switch to Affinity on mass even with the fantastic pricing....

We'd pay a lot more and buy several licenses for an integrated all-in-one Photo and Designer with all vector and bitmaps in one and the addition of just a few more frequently used tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

I wonder if Affinity are spreading their resources a bit too thinly with the iPad versions, the new Publisher and the 'HOPEFULLY' seamless integration with Publisher, Designer & Photo when it arrives. Meaning some fundemntal features are too slow to arrive.

I think the same as you. Once they have all apps for all OS (including Android?) I think versions will come up faster.

 

53 minutes ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

We'd pay a lot more and buy several licenses for an integrated all-in-one Photo and Designer with all vector and bitmaps in one and the addition of just a few more frequently used tools.

I asked the same question and they are very strict that it won't happen.

It could be a good idea if they offer the core app so the user can decide which personas to buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Once they have all apps for all OS (including Android?) I think versions will come up faster.

Everything I’ve read about versions for other OSs suggests to me that an Android version is no more likely than a Linux version or a Chrome OS version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.10 • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.10 • Designer for iPad 1.10 • iPadOS 15.6.1 (iPad Air 2)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Everything I’ve read about versions for other OSs suggests to me that an Android version is no more likely than a Linux version or a Chrome OS version.

Even better. It means they have to finish Publisher for desktop and iPod and every new version will come out faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I downloaded the trial version of Amadine & have been playing with it for 2 hours or so. ...

Another cons, looks like they changed the software requirements for their final initial version, before Amadine was compiled the way to work on/with older OS X versions too, now it runs only on macOS Sierra or higher. - Other than that this software is generally more designed after Autodesk Graphic and the like.

5 hours ago, Mithferion said:

My prediction is that it will be here in two years.

The faster the better, since some competitors also have new software and features in their pipelines.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.5 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.5 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Another cons, looks like they changed the software requirements for their final initial version, before Amadine was compiled the way to work on/with older OS X versions too, now it runs only on macOS Sierra or higher. - Other than that this software is generally more designed after Autodesk Graphic and the like.

The faster the better, since some competitors also have new software and features in their pipelines.

There's a window of opportunity here for Affinity .... Adobe customers are not happy .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.