You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separated Mode - Switching Crash and Tabs?

Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or this is a bug/problem. Brand new to AP, so trying a variety of things out to see if I can move from PS.

One thing we routinely do in client work is drag layers from one document to another. In PS, we simply drag a tab to make it a freestanding document, then drag the layers we want into the new document. In reading this forum, I read where in AP it requires turning on the Separated mode. Did that, but when I switch Separated off to return to the normal mode, AP crashes every time. 

Now I did have 5-8 files open, which is a normal workflow. The only way I could restart AP was to open after the crash, move the now unified small-sized window aside, close the other individual windows/files, then stretch the main window back to near full-screen.

Once I had it fixed, then with only 2 documents open I tried it again and it works. So it looks like you can't switch modes if you have more than a couple files open????

QUESTION: In the Separated mode, is it not possible to have multiple files/documents open in a tabbed window like in most other apps? Very tough to work with 6-10 open files that all have their own window. And we normally work on multiple projects/files, plus as mentioned above, we routinely drag layers between projects/files/documents. Just trying to figure out how we can adapt our workflow.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

You're not missing anything. It's only possible to drag layers between documents when in Separated Mode. 

I've not been able to replicate the crash tho. I've had 10 docs open and entering and exiting Separate Mode worked fine. Can you replicate it? Do you get a Crash Log?

Yes, it crashed several times when I tried it a few days ago. Today when I tried with 7 much smaller files open, worked fine. I did get crash logs for the crashes.

For the Separated mode, I'm hoping you can add a tabbed window for multiple open documents. Really critical to our workflow. As I mentioned in my original post, we routinely have 6-15 documents open most of the time when working on various projects for different clients, or even when working on a larger project(s) for a single client. While I've become comfortable with the normal mode, because we often drag and drop layers between projects, we'd need the Separated mode, but need a tabbed interface for the document windows (obviously, with the ability to detach a tab when we need to drag/drop a layer). That's our workflow/layout in PS.

Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Thanks. I had tried that the other day when I had the crashes and couldn't get it to work. Thought it odd that it didn't so that's why I asked.

Today when I try it with multiple windows (but much smaller files) works fine, just like switching interfaces. Thanks for confirming the feature. Much appreciated.

When I get time, going to try having several large docs open to see if that problem was just something else going on with the computer at the time.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022