You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Logo Please!

Hi there!

5 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

That bears a little too much similarity to the AppStore icon.

Yeah, that's the case but not because it's based on it, but because some of the examples are a white shape inside a blue circle. Anothfer thing is the thick outline around some circular icons. So, I simply took some elements and merged them together, just to see if that's what some people want.

8 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

I think it’s not really appropriate to say some logo looks “out of place” in the dock because there are millions of applications with millions of different logos/icons, and people have different ones in their docks. Just because it looks out of place for one user doesn’t mean that it’s bad.

And that's what I think about the Affinity icons.

11 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Here’s my dock. Coda’s icon is just a leaf, Transmit’s icon is a truck/lorry, Mail’s icon is a stamp, next to that is Billings whose icon resembles a stop watch, and then there is FontExplorerX which is a cube, like VirtualBox, and LibreOffice is some kind of document (this is the one I personally dislike the most), and Sequel Pro is a database dressed as pancakes. Then there are a few squares and a few circles but there is absolutely no consistency. So, after which shape should Affinity’s logo be designed, and why?

dock.png

That's something only the Affinity Team can answer. I believe that triangular shape it's because of the letter "A". And that letter is base on one of the basic shapes: circle, triangle, square.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, MEB said:

The Affinity icons are now quite recognisable and well established, changing them to something else may not be that good.

This

Personally, I hope the logos stay as is for this reason. We all know how programs change after so many years (UI, logo, tools), and then it causes stress to the customers having to learn and get use to new styles. If any changes are to be done, they can't be too out of its original theme.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

51 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

LibreOffice is some kind of document (this is the one I personally dislike the most)

Yes, that one is a bit unimaginative but it doesn't stop me using LO from time to time. Likewise, although I preferred the original Vivaldi logo I'm not about to let the redesign put me off keeping Vivaldi as my default browser on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Mithferion said:

That's something only the Affinity Team can answer. I believe that triangular shape it's because of the letter "A". And that letter is base on one of the basic shapes: circle, triangle, square.

Well, that was more of a hypothetical question. Fact is, the design can be completely arbitrary because there is no “general guideline” which an icon has to follow.

4 hours ago, WebEngineer said:

Existing logo is rubbish, needs a change at least for Mac users

By the way: you can change the application icon yourself if you really don’t like it. I believe this has also been explained earlier in this thread.

It would not be a problem to create several icon sets (round, square, color, monochrome, ...) that would be part of the application, and user choose it according to their needs and visual style.

I'm really surprised, that the icon "experts" have not done that a long time ago, and they have not made it available to others.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Personally, I hope the logos stay as is for this reason. We all know how programs change after so many years (UI, logo, tools), and then it causes stress to the customers having to learn and get use to new styles. If any changes are to be done, they can't be too out of its original theme.

Exactly what Serif is known for in the past - too much stress, features changing etc?

We are talking about a logo. A lot of people (real designers) here have made some excellent suggestions. You will lose business just because of an icon, trust me excellent designers only want the best.

And also, how come major companies out there like, Dropbox, Google, Yahoo, Pixelmator Pro can change their logos for the interest of the eyes of a good designer. Shapes, meanings and gradients are all very lovely behind a logo. But if it looks tacky then that's too bad.

1 hour ago, WebEngineer said:

We are talking about a logo. A lot of people (real designers) here have made some excellent suggestions. You will lose business just because of an icon, trust me excellent designers only want the best.

WebEngineer,

If what you say is true, when Adobe released the original Create Suite and they moved to those horrible feather logos people would have left in droves but they didn't :D. I even find the current Adobe logos super lame but they are way better than the old CS logos. The current Affinity logos are in my opinion pretty good. As the current logos are the second version, I don't see any reason to change them for a while. Sure they will eventually have to change them but it could be argued that changing logos too often can have bad effects just as much as not changing it can. 

Hokusai

WebEngineer,

I'm very surprised at your sudden change in direction. I looked through your posts and saw that you commented on how much you liked the program in another post and then one hour later you said that you don't want to buy it because you don't like the logo. It seems odd to have such a drastic change in such a short amount of time. If you don't like it, that is your prerogative but I can't help but feel that something else is up. Not liking a program because of its icon is similar to not liking a hammer because of the logo of the company that makes it even though the hammer itself performs exceptionally well.

Designer is a great program and I feel it is unfortunate for someone to miss out on using it because of something like this. 

Here is what you said (sorry I didn't quote it properly) 

Firstly, I've just downloaded the trial of Affinity Designer and I have to say I am blown away at how brilliant this program is. You really have a winning strategy here, well done!

But despite how this beats Illustrator hands down in my circumstances, there's one thing that bugs me (and Im pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one) and thats the logo. Seriously I think the logo was designed by a 4 year old kid who watches marvel splashing in gradients and clutter. Something simple and straight forward I think would justify the quality of software. And a lot of designers out there, especially Mac users appreciate a good looking icon on the doc.

Am in the middle of a project right now waiting to upgrade to High Sierra. Once done so, will go ahead and purchase however, very impressed!

On 16/10/2014 at 2:21 PM, Mark Ingram said:

I was just about to say that's a bit too googley lol

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 minutes ago, WebEngineer said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works ;)

I think you mean, “Just to be a party pooper!” :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/7/2018 at 4:39 AM, WebEngineer said:

Let's appreciate this icon for a quality piece of software because its ART, no?

Absolutely.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Saw this post and I registered just to praise the icon designer. The first impression is that it is really cutting-edge and professional. Love the high saturation color you use. (Also googled the old ones, personally I think that one feels like a generic discontinued single purpose junk app out there.. like "PNG convertor, Sprite Sheet Maker" or something)

I also didn't know about Affinity before but I have to cancel the CC subscription and looking for alternatives. In an instant I see the current icon I think it must be a really promising application and downloaded the trial.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

@wildcard

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Thanks for these great designs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 weeks later...