You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Logo Please!

16 minutes ago, MikeW said:

And should we be rude (and, well, racist or a Francophobe in this case) when someone posts in their own language?

What? Racist? Are you special? At this moment anyone could tell you're American, even if you've never written you're one. Everyone is racist to you. All I said, was a complainment about someone posting in French and asking if it's just a stereotype proof (in a rude way, I don't deny that, it's just because I've kept seeing that more often lately). Do you deny that stereotypes exist? Do you really think stereotypes are just coming out of the blue? (Funny thing is that the guy actually confirmed he doesn't know English. SO RACIST)

12 minutes ago, Wikinger said:

All messages you write in English are automatically translated.
I can therefore read them with a good approximation.
I thought it was the same for you.

If you demand English, you're free to choose. I don't speak English but I respect your choice.
So I won't bother you again.

There is no problem if you use a translator, it seems to do a pretty good job. I guess it translates the forum for you automatically because of some browser plugin.

2 hours ago, Wikinger said:

Good evening.

Whether it is: Designer, photo or editor, the current logos are not unpleasant. They certainly have a meaning.

The logos are Serif's signature, part of their identity. I'd be happy to see Serif decide that. The priorities are elsewhere.

If Serif decides to change its logos, organizing a contest would be interesting. 

(There would be an I-pad to win? 

What do you think?!

I don't really understand why people don't like Affinity programs logos. They have their own style and are easily recognizable. People keep complaining how everything starts to look the same, but when something stands out they say it should look like everything else.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

I have a shortcut for Google Translate in my bookmarks for if/when needed. It would be nice, like a couple forums I frequent that have the option to translate from one language to another, if this one did. But it doesn't.

I use the 'Google Translate' Chrome extension in Vivaldi browser. If I want to know what "Niech więc wszyscy zaczną od dzisiaj pisać w swoim języku" means, I just highlight the sentence and click on the little icon that appears next to it.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

I fully understand the issue. I simply would rather someone express themselves clearly in their own language if that means I need to use Google Translate to understand them. 

Google Translate often gets it wrong. If someone provides only the faulty translation, there may be insufficient information to allow me to work out what they were trying to say, but if I can also see the original text I get a second bite at the cherry.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can hardly read (some) German. When I am immersed in setting French I can more or less make myself understand if I think hard enough. Russian? Nope. Czech? Nope.

It's not knowing a language that makes anyone a racist, or a ...phobe of one race or another. It's painting "them" with a broad and stereotypical brush.

I'll go crawl away now as is befitting of a 'murican that has been so thoroughly dressed down.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Google Translate often gets it wrong.

I learned that the hard way, you trottel.

(Fool = Jerk?)

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

2 hours ago, voitek said:

I don't really understand why people don't like Affinity programs logos. They have their own style and are easily recognizable. People keep complaining how everything starts to look the same, but when something stands out they say it should look like everything else.

Very well said.

But in all seriousness, I would rather like Serif to implement a bunch of new features over a new logo. Features is what will finally get people interested. Not the logo.

I have never bought a program because of it's cover. As long as it feels and operates well - i.e. the UX is good - I am sold to the program.

And for the Affinity programs, this is true to me.

In fact, most programs I use daily look absolutely horrible and have an outdated logo. It does not matter. They work and they work well. This is what matters.

The Affinity programs are the most fancy looking ones I am using and I am glad they nailed the UI and UX on them that well.

Programs are there to help you get the job done at the end of the day, not to win a design contest, unless you are developing at Apple.

This generally reflects my opinion on mobile apps. They usually all look great. They all have a great icon. But so much time was spent on the looks, that they have barely any functionality. Most apps just don't do much. The apps that actually do a bunch on their own and don't upload to the cloud, mostly look terrible, because they actually cared more for what it does and not how it looks.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I can hardly read (some) German. When I am immersed in setting French I can more or less make myself understand if I think hard enough. Russian? Nope. Czech? Nope.

It's not knowing a language that makes anyone a racist, or a ...phobe of one race or another. It's painting "them" with a broad and stereotypical brush.

I'll go crawl away now as is befitting of a 'murican that has been so thoroughly dressed down.

I am active in a lot of international forums. Usually, if they are in a foreigin language like Russian, I tend to just write in English and provide an automated translation to Russian.

I would do the same here. Write the post in your own language to make sure that there will not be any missunderstanding later and then use automated translation software to translate it to the forum's main language and append it to your post. This helps these, who don't speak your language and prevents missunderstandings.

Personally, I speak English and German. I am also able to read some French, but as soon as it comes to writing it, I just resort to the translator.

I've been using AD and AP for a while now, and here is my take on the thread's subject. I use the Windows variant and i have an absolute hate for at least 90% of the logos used on this OS. The logo's either look dated, plain ugly and/or cheap...

Anyway, credits to @m4nticore (link) and @ronniemcbride (link) for inspiring me. :)

affinity-logos.thumb.jpg.23be3f300db5401823c537a026daaa4e.jpg

18 hours ago, bmuessig said:

I have never bought a program because of it's cover. As long as it feels and operates well - i.e. the UX is good - I am sold to the program.

And for the Affinity programs, this is true to me.

I think most people in the MacOS ecosystem are pretty judgmental about design issues. I believe with good reason. I have found in my 20 years of using a broad array of software tools* that design and UI/UX is a harbinger of the overall application quality and software architecture. And that has lots of implications. Features are important, but if they are quirky or buggy, its not much help. More importantly, software that has messy architecture is slow to evolve and slow add new features in the future. I have found that teams that value clear clean design also value clear clean architecture.

So yes, when I see poor icon design for a graphics application, I question if I should buy it. I'm not alone. I think it should be noted in the 200 application on my system, I can't think of a icon until Affinity that bothered me so much I'd look around for a forum to discuss it.

*I keep active software on my system covering the fields of illustration, graphics, CAD, electrical engineering, structural engineering, software development, web development, data science, and even chemistry).

47 minutes ago, taharvey said:

I think most people in the MacOS ecosystem are pretty judgmental about design issues. I believe with good reason. I have found in my 20 years of using a broad array of software tools* that design and UI/UX is a harbinger of the overall application quality and software architecture. And that has lots of implications. Features are important, but if they are quirky or buggy, its not much help. More importantly, software that has messy architecture is slow to evolve and slow add new features in the future. I have found that teams that value clear clean design also value clear clean architecture.

So yes, when I see poor icon design for a graphics application, I question if I should buy it. I'm not alone. I think it should be noted in the 200 application on my system, I can't think of a icon until Affinity that bothered me so much I'd look around for a forum to discuss it.

*I keep active software on my system covering the fields of illustration, graphics, CAD, electrical engineering, structural engineering, software development, web development, data science, and even chemistry).

You may be right with that. I do use Mac OS a bit, albeit not very often and prefer working on Linux and Windows, so I don't quite fit into Apple's style of doing things.

I have an old 2009 MacBook Pro that I rarely use for anything. I have bought the Affinity suite for Windows alone.

Many of the tools used professionally are an absolute mess, internally and visibily. Just have a look at SolidWorks, Altium, etc.

These gigantic apps have been receiving updates for decades now and while they do have a steep learning curve, you get used to them and start to like working with them.

Their UI usually is not even nearly as refined as for instance Serif's software is and the UX often requires professional training and a lot of time to get used to it.

In my perspective, Affinity's UI and UX are great. The UX is not too basic to be worthless doing productive work, but it is rather easy to get used to.

Surely, for a graphics application a good logo is one factor, but the experience is a lot more important.

As with all art, this logo has it's fans, but also a few people who don't quite like it.

There is always the possibility (in Windows at least) to just change the icon of the shortcut to one's own preference ;)

8 hours ago, bmuessig said:

Just have a look at SolidWorks, Altium, etc.

Generally Agree there. Those are apps that don't get the UX love they need, but we use them anyways... cause what else are you going to do? My PADs software doesn't look that much different from its 20 year old DOS version. Talk about slow velocity. Most serious board designers still don't use auto-routing. What? Crazy! Auto-routing is the quintessential machine learning problem, and yet it hasn't received much development effort over the last 20 years. Total nuts, and very lazy.

It is a reason I like the Mac ecosystem though. Strong community commitment to quality. I think a lot of the cruft in these applications has to do with lax community standards for quality. Largely because a poor leader (Microsoft) who has struggled to value design in UX or in architecture, and APIs. Which only makes it harder to build quality applications on these platforms.

It's interesting to see how everyone has a different take on this subject. After all, no artist is the same, so to get everyone's approval will always be up to debate.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

16 hours ago, haakoo said:

永远不要用封面来判断一本书。

要么图标(使用你自己的,如果它困扰你那么多)

或者过人们使用或不使用的语言。

也许我们应该用全球最大的使用语言来写中文。

Мислам дека имаш грешка во знаков што ти го означив со црвена боја. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 3.1.2018 at 8:41 PM, Reza.Allami said:

I prefer something like these:

Logo.png

Logo2.png

OH MY!!! Looking at these images I just now realize that this triangular shape in the middle is supposed to be a pencil drawing a line! I’ve never recognized it as that, the AD logo always just looked like an abstract triangular thing to me.

mind → blown.

12 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

OH MY!!! Looking at these images I just now realize that this triangular shape in the middle is supposed to be a pencil drawing a line! I’ve never recognized it as that, the AD logo always just looked like an abstract triangular thing to me.

mind → blown.

Haha. I think you may have missed Fixx's post from the previous page. :P That's okay. I also noticed that the line coming down looks like part of the pencil's sketch.

Photo's indication is obvious, but I wonder if Publisher's icon is supposed to look like the side of a thick book.

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

Haha. I think you may have missed Fixx's post from the previous page. :P That's okay. I also noticed that the line coming down looks like part of the pencil's sketch.

Photo's indication is obvious, but I wonder if Publisher's icon is supposed to look like the side of a thick book.

Look at my guess a page befor in this topic. (=

9 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Look at my guess a page befor in this topic. (=

Well then, I guess we all have to wake up. :$

I admit, I did see that, but I misunderstood that post. I thought it was a joke saying that's how the logo should look. Yuck. Imagine that.

So we both think the same thing? Then we must be on the same page.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 5:57 AM, VIPStephan said:

mind → blown.

I totally didn't get that either. lol Now I can't unsee it.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

On 05/01/2018 at 1:57 PM, VIPStephan said:

OH MY!!! Looking at these images I just now realize that this triangular shape in the middle is supposed to be a pencil drawing a line!

It looks more like a ballpoint pen to me. If it were a pencil, there wouldn’t be a rounded corner with a separate piece for the tip.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi WebEngineer,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Affinity icons are now quite recognisable and well established, changing them to something else may not be that good.

But why don't you give it a go/try? Even if just for learning the program/fun. Just remember they belong to a suite so must share a common visual language and have an unifying concept.

Looking and the given examples, I made this one version. I don't know if it's more professional or well made but I believe that people love round figures.

Affinity_Designer_-_Mac.png

By the way, the Adobe icons are the ones that look so out of place, if you ask me, next to the System Preferences.

Best regards!

That bears a little too much similarity to the AppStore icon.

I think it’s not really appropriate to say some logo looks “out of place” in the dock because there are millions of applications with millions of different logos/icons, and people have different ones in their docks. Just because it looks out of place for one user doesn’t mean that it’s bad.

Here’s my dock. Coda’s icon is just a leaf, Transmit’s icon is a truck/lorry, Mail’s icon is a stamp, next to that is Billings whose icon resembles a stop watch, and then there is FontExplorerX which is a cube, like VirtualBox, and LibreOffice is some kind of document (this is the one I personally dislike the most), and Sequel Pro is a database dressed as pancakes. Then there are a few squares and a few circles but there is absolutely no consistency. So, after which shape should Affinity’s logo be designed, and why?

dock.png