You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Logo Please!

On 28/12/2017 at 9:52 AM, Kev D800 said:

??[I have too much free time]

I believe it's a book. But maybe I have a lot of imagination...

Pulisher_Book.png

Best regards!

For what it's worth (next to nil), I like the current icons. I think they look cool.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

On 12/27/2017 at 5:56 PM, bmuessig said:

Logos.PNG

Gosh those are bad icons. Are you being serious, or joking? Maybe I don't spend much time in Windows these days... assumed it was improving on the other side of the fence. (Opera is ok, as is VS). But Affinity, ImgBurn and LIghtworks are the Gaudi-ist logos I've seen

Icon design does have describable rules. Simplicity, clarity, meaning, recognizability. 

Your examples of Apple is a good example. An Apple with a bite out of it. Very clear imagery, very recognizable. Even still, the Apple logo of the 1970s was too muddy and busy. They fixed it, and simplified it, now it is very good icon design.

Here is a random grab of App icons from my computer. Some flat (Deltawalker, Omnigraffle), some 3D (Motion, Sketch), some simple logos (Sourcetree, Postico, WhatsApp, Zoom), some concept-identifiable illustrations (Xcode, Pages, Dashboard). Very different approaches, but all relatively nice design. 

Affinity stands out. Its super amateurish. Its design is very muddy, not simple and iconic – like say the Dropbox icon. Yet, all of the that complexity doesn't read as a identifable 'thing' or idea like say the Xcode icon which is clearly illustrating the idea of building and blueprints.

Icons.png.a11ece4da1e1161e7bb760d3d3e4e8c5.png

I like your taste in that last post, taharvey. And a small indication of what the program does on the logo is a helper. I admit, I do really like the Affinity logos still and seeing how they compare their style and shape to Adobe (triangle vs square), but that's me. May I ask what you think of their original logos?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Just looked them up. The original logos are just fine. They were slightly busy, but clear and descriptive. The folded triangle looked like affinity=infinity, pen and marker. The colors of the triangle are nicer than the kindergarten gradients of the current logo. Pretty good stuff. The left shadow and bezier control points were maybe more detail than they needed. But worked fine.

I now see how they got to their current logo. None of the infinity or drawing tool concept comes across. Perhaps a misguided attempt to "flatten" a illustrative icon without redesign. I think this is an example of unnecessary fashion trends to "flatten" what is perceived skeuomorphic design. You can had good flat design and good skeuomorphic design. What you can't do flatten skeuomorphic design... its like reducing the resolution of a detailed photo into a single color and expecting the results to look good automatically.

Bonsoir.

Que ce soit: Designer, photo ou éditeur, les logos actuels ne sont pas déplaisants. Ils ont certainement une signification.

Les logos sont la signature de Serif , une partie de leur identité. Je laisserai volontiers Serif en décider. Les priorités sont ailleurs.

Si  Serif  décide de changer ses logos, organiser un concours serait intéressant. 

(Il y aurait un I-pad à gagner)? :) 

Vous en pensez quoi !!

Le problème à déjà été évoqué.

Il semble avoir un problème de traduction.

Je vais traduire en anglais, dites moi si OK. 

Good evening.

Whether it is: Designer, photo or editor, the current logos are not unpleasant. They certainly have a meaning.

The logos are Serif's signature, part of their identity. I'd be happy to see Serif decide that. The priorities are elsewhere.

If Serif decides to change its logos, organizing a contest would be interesting. 

(There would be an I-pad to win? 

What do you think?!

22 minutes ago, voitek said:

What is with all those French people on this forum not writing in English? Proving stereotypes?

Nah. But I think you are demonstrating the Ugly American stereotype (no matter your nationality).

I have a shortcut for Google Translate in my bookmarks for if/when needed. It would be nice, like a couple forums I frequent that have the option to translate from one language to another, if this one did. But it doesn't.

Mike

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Niech więc wszyscy zaczną od dzisiaj pisać w swoim języku. Nie będzie ci to przeszkadzać, bo masz linka do translatora w zakładkach. Jak będziesz musiał co drugi post kopiować i wklejać do translatora, to może zrozumiesz na czym polega idea pisania po angielsku na międzynarodowym forum.

The point of writing in English on a forum is to understand the author without any additional steps. I prefer someone using his poor English instead of others just writing in their own language.

3 minutes ago, voitek said:

Let everyone start writing in their language today. It will not bother you because you have a link to the translator in the tabs. If you will have to copy and paste every second post to the translator, then maybe you will understand the idea of writing in English on an international forum.

Only people trying to be a pest bother me to any great extent.

I fully understand the issue. I simply would rather someone express themselves clearly in their own language if that means I need to use Google Translate to understand them. 

Il y a 36 minutes, MikeW a dit:

......... J'ai un raccourci pour Google Translate dans mes favoris pour si / quand .......... Mike

Je traduis avec Deep Traducteur. 

Cela ne semble pas suffisant.

Si je lis un commentaire en anglais, je le traduis sans agresser nos voisins anglais.

Imagine everybody start writing in their own languages. You would waste your time in translations and in one moment you will start to hate this forum and try to avoid it because of this.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I think we should all remember that these forums are operated by Serif, and they set the rules. 

If I remember correctly, sometime within the past few days one of the moderators said that everyone is free to post in whatever language they want. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, no one has something about this, but there is a "silent agreament" that all posts should be in English as a languange supposed everybody know. See my post 12 min. ago.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I believe it's easier when we communicate in the same language, English in this case. If you can do it, go ahead. If you are not that good, you improving your English skills is a good thing.

Best regards!

I just wish that all these people writing British English would use American English so I could understand them...Seriously, this is just a gripe thread anyway. I should be using a Klingon translator just to obfuscate what I really think.

I think that there are people here writing English very well that leave out far more important information (like which application or even what it is they want to accomplish and/or what is actually happening on their system) to overly be concerned with what language they are writing in.

And heck, I only got started in this dumber-than-a-post thread because of the rudeness that was expressed a couple posts up. vaj pa'

44 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I just wish that all these people writing British English would use American English so I could understand them

Jistě, dá se to hrotit do naprosto nesmyslných extrémů.

Dobře to ale napsal Petar - pokud každý bude psát ve svém rodném jazyce, což pro většinu čtenářů bude znamenat zvýšenou (a zbytečnou) zátěž při překládání a dost často i nepochopení příspěvků, tak sem přestanou chodit, a přestanou radit ostatním, což je podle mě velkým přínosem tohoto fóra.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

All messages you write in English are automatically translated.
I can therefore read them with a good approximation.
I thought it was the same for you.

If you demand English, you're free to choose. I don't speak English but I respect your choice.
So I won't bother you again.