You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Logo Please!

I was thinking an icon maybe along these lines would be pretty cool (see attached).

Also, I hope making some logo concepts isn't in violation of Affinity's Terms or something, if you want me to cease and desist or something, I will :) - thanks.

Oooh.  I know it subjective ( isn't all design :) ) but I really like that minimalistic, clean take on the logo.  Nice work.

I've done these to match the other icons I've on my Yosemite's dock  :P

Use the crop tool icon on the photo icon; then use the text tool icon on the publisher icon. Much more organic.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Samholmes,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You have woken up a very old thread (a technique also used by spammers). This thread was made when the logos had recently been launched. They are now well established and won't be reworked because of forum posts.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 7 months later...

I got here from the google search "affinity designer icon ugly"

It is stand out bad icon design. It is not about flat or complex. It is down right the worst icon i've seen on a Mac application... Which is saying something.

Very amateurish. Mostly evokes messy graffiti, but not in a good way. It made me question the quality of the application. Yes, I like most people judge the book by its cover. Get a better cover, please!

It'd be interesting if you could provide an idea for "better icons", uploading your proposal.

Best regards!

Suggestion for names:

Affinity Vector or Affinity Lines

Affinity Bitmap or Affinity Pixels

Affinity Layout or Affinity Frames

EDITED

or maybe better to shorten the Affinity to "a" like in iMac so:

aVector / aLines

aBitmap / aPixels

aLayout / aFrames

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

5 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Suggestion for names:

EDITED

or maybe better to shorten the Affinity to "a" like in iMac so:

aVector / aLines

aBitmap / aPixels

aLayout / aFrames

I think that would end up in a complete mess.

Renaming it would just really hurt the name recognition and to be fair, what's so wrong with "Designer" and "Photo" anyhow?

There are already hundreds of tutorials and reviews out there that all use "Affinity Designer" and "Affinity Photo" as their name.

Imagine if Adobe now renamed Photoshop or Illustrator? Nobody would get the new names and link them to the old software.

18 hours ago, taharvey said:

I got here from the google search "affinity designer icon ugly"

It is stand out bad icon design. It is not about flat or complex. It is down right the worst icon i've seen on a Mac application... Which is saying something.

Very amateurish. Mostly evokes messy graffiti, but not in a good way. It made me question the quality of the application. Yes, I like most people judge the book by its cover. Get a better cover, please!

I think the logos work just well. Look how well they blend in with the logos of other applications.

Also, I am not entirely sure what you are referring to as "graffiti"?

The logos are also flat and modern looking. I think you may be referring to the initial ones, which have been replaced since.

Logos.PNG

I'm only posting on this old topic because it is getting activity again.

Something I am trying to prove to people with all types of art is that it varies. Whether it's a logo, a CGI movie, a trend, or whatever, the principle of all ideas is to show variation and not the same repetition. The way competition works may not always match up with the value of art. And the ironic catch to all art principles is that they will change. So whatever the modern style may be, I say it is okay to some times break the rules of art for the right presentational purposes. And we have no idea what the future style may be, but we know it won't be as we see it today.

Being quite the opposite here, I actually love the logos, and I don't like the look of modern logos. I miss the whole 2010 icons. To me, those looked more art acceptable.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Seriously? This topic is still going on? I certainly celebrate peoples' right to talk about what they want to, but across the spectrum of software issues, the icon for Affinity products is a concern?

Ugliest, most worstest icon ever? OK..let's see here....

Lightwave 3D - also great software. The icon is..exactly what? Sonic the Hedgehog on bad liquor?

Same goes Blender 3D - only with a spike haircut? what do either icons have to do with 3D? Nuttin'.

QuarkXPress - the name has zero to do with design, and the icons have been...meh...

Scribus: Uses a fountainpen? Huh?

Inkscape: a snow-covered mountain with ink dribbles..looks cool, but what's it got to do with vector drawing?

Apple? because Steve Jobs worked at an orchard and for a time ate nothing but apples, which made him stinky. How very sexy!

Product Icons must do 2 things: be recognizable, be distinct. All of the logos mentioned here do that, including Affinity's. As someone here mentioned, Affinity's icons make all their products look like they're part of a set. Kinda like Adobe's. Kinda like microsnot, etc.

Continue to chew this cud if you want but Affinity's software rocks and their logos do what logos are needed to do.

2 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Seriously? This topic is still going on? I certainly celebrate peoples' right to talk about what they want to, but across the spectrum of software issues, the icon for Affinity products is a concern?

Ugliest, most worstest icon ever? OK..let's see here....

Lightwave 3D - also great software. The icon is..exactly what? Sonic the Hedgehog on bad liquor?

Same goes Blender 3D - only with a spike haircut? what do either icons have to do with 3D? Nuttin'.

QuarkXPress - the name has zero to do with design, and the icons have been...meh...

Scribus: Uses a fountainpen? Huh?

Inkscape: a snow-covered mountain with ink dribbles..looks cool, but what's it got to do with vector drawing?

Apple? because Steve Jobs worked at an orchard and for a time ate nothing but apples, which made him stinky. How very sexy!

Product Icons must do 2 things: be recognizable, be distinct. All of the logos mentioned here do that, including Affinity's. As someone here mentioned, Affinity's icons make all their products look like they're part of a set. Kinda like Adobe's. Kinda like microsnot, etc.

Continue to chew this cud if you want but Affinity's software rocks and their logos do what logos are needed to do.

FYIO: Apple logo has connection with the Bible - the first sin of Adam and Eva. And there is a mistake - the fruit wasn't an apple, but pomegranate. ;)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

9 hours ago, Fixx said:

This is rather OT, but I really hate icons that have a hole in the center (Opera, ImgBurn). I try to drag&drop but nothing happens. Yep, I did hit the desktop part of the icon's center...

This is rather strange. I have just tried moving the opera icon by clicking into the transparent center of it and it moved fine in Windows 10.

EDIT:
Tried it with Windows 8.1 and moving the Opera icon by grabbing it in the center also just works fine.

Edited by bmuessig

56 minutes ago, Kev D800 said:

I wonder what they will use for Publisher.

Off topic: Microsoft has Publisher so maybe another name may be in order.

Here you can see it:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/about/

Best regards!

17 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Suggestion for names:

My options here. Theses names will show the true potential the apps have:

1. Affinity Vectors with Pixels
  2. Affinity Bitmaps with Lines
  3. Affinity for making Books and Whatnot

:P

Best regards!

5 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

My options here. Theses names will show the true potential the apps have:

1. Affinity Vectors with Pixels
  2. Affinity Bitmaps with Lines
  3. Affinity for making Books and Whatnot

:P

Best regards!

Nice naming ideas ;)

But in all seriousness, I am pretty sure the software (except for maybe Publisher) is not going to be renamed.

AD and AP have now been out in the public for 2 to 3 years under their respective names. They have gained name recognition by now.

Generally, I can really only restate what I have said earlier:

I think that would end up in a complete mess.

Renaming it would just really hurt the name recognition and to be fair, what's so wrong with "Designer" and "Photo" anyhow?

There are already hundreds of tutorials and reviews out there that all use "Affinity Designer" and "Affinity Photo" as their name.

Imagine if Adobe now renamed Photoshop or Illustrator? Nobody would get the new names and link them to the old software.

5 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

And there is a mistake - the fruit wasn't an apple, but pomegranate. ;)

Is that so? Well I'll be damned.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!