jclounge

Force pixel alignment with clone and healing brushes

Hi folks, I just noticed another bug, this time with the clone and healing brushes in Photo.

The clone brush does not obey the force pixel alignment option. This becomes a problem when there is fine-grained texture or very small text or detail that must be cloned.

To see what I mean, follow these steps:

1. create a new document and make force pixel alignment enabled.

2. create a grey rectangle.

3. add maximum noise to the rectangle.

4. rasterise the very noisy rectangle.

5. zoom all the way in to clearly see the pixel detail of the noise.

6. select the clone brush tool and set a source point for cloning.

7. without clicking, move the mouse around to preview the clone

At this last step, you can see that it's hard to ensure that the clone will be sharp, as most of the time it is off pixel alignment and the resampling destroys all the detail.

This is pretty bad. I was wondering why my cloned areas were so blurry, and this was the reason.

Also, here are some other issues I noticed while trying to reproduce the clone/heal alignment bug:

1. If you make a fill layer and add noise, either with live or static filters, no noise appears. In fact it looks like no filters or adjustments work when nested inside a fill layer. This is odd, especially because filters and adjustments will work on shapes such as rectangles.

2. Even though adjustments and filters can be nested inside each other at the root tree level, the nested one does not get applied.

Cheers,

Jules

Hi Jules,

As far as I can tell this is as designed - the Force Pixel Alignment option is designed for object manipulation rather than brushes. With that said though I can understand your desire to want it to snap to whole pixels however so I will pass it on to the developers.

With regards to your other issue, anything nested inside an object will limit its effect to any other object inside the region of the parent object. The Fill layer is designed to fill the entire document with a Solid colour or a gradient, they're not designed to show anything else inside it. If you wish to add noise to a Fill Layer simply adjust the noise slider on the Colour Tab with the Fill Layer selected.

Hi jclounge,

I noticed this too.

It seems that you can paint with sub-pixel precision (and this is great for top notch AA) but when you're cloning it is not that best.

When you have sharp edges there is definitely a lack of sharpness.

My source is the green arrow, the blue one is the painted one via cloning (hardness of this brush is 100%)

sub-pixel_alignment.png

No way to clone the sharp edge.

Hope they'll fix it soon.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

My source is the green arrow, the blue one is the painted one via cloning (hardness of this brush is 100%)

No way to clone the sharp edge.

Isn't the soft edge caused by antialiasing, rather than by (lack of) hardness of the brush? :unsure:

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Isn't the soft edge caused by antialiasing, rather than by (lack of) hardness of the brush? :unsure:

I specified that the brush is at 100% of hardness just to avoid any doubt about tool settings.

I doubt the cause is anti-alias.

Check this comparison at 400% zoom level.

subPixel.png

The first two rows have been made in AP

1) Clone Stamp Aligned ON : no chance to have a crisp stamp

2) Clone Stamp Aligned OFF: random results, but occasionally "almost" pixel perfect (you can notice a column of softened pixels)

The last row is ClipStudioPaint

1) AA at level 1: you can notice that affects only the circle border, but content is pixel perfect.

2) AA off: everything is crisp

I guess that the overall soften/blur in AP is caused by sub-pixel position of the brush shape, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to create an "almost" crisp stamp (the first one of the second row).

In CSP (as in PS)  you can stamp your source anywhere in the canvas, if it is crisp, the cloned one will be.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

ok - will take a look into this.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi:

I'm running AP 1.6.7, and still get anti-aliasing when using the clone stamp tool during retouching of fine detail, even with brush set to 100% hardness, and ALL "Dynamics" set to 0%.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Eric