You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

You can use the Gradient Tool on an Adjustment Layer's mask to get the same effect. Add a Brightness / Contrast Adjustment, select its Mask and use the Gradient Tool to drag out the required gradient :)

• Staff

The stop colours of the gradient will affect how the mask works. If you have both the gradient stop colours set to white the adjustment will be applied to the whole image (using white on a mask reveals the adjustements). Change one of the stop colours to black to protect/block the image from the adjustement (black conceals the adjustment). Mid tones (greys) will reveal more or less of the adjustements depending how closer they are to white or black.

Erwe,

Have you tried control-clicking on the mask's thumbnail & choosing "Edit Mask" from the popup menu?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Erwe,

Have you tried control-clicking on the mask's thumbnail & choosing "Edit Mask" from the popup menu?

There is no "Edit Mask"

post-14418-0-91289200-1464809250_thumb.png

Hi Erwe,

Press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and click over the mask's thumbnail in the layers panel.

That works! Great! Thanks!!

But why isn't it in the context menu?

I think, the programmer should consider the placement of commands, some is in the top menu, many in the context menu and other commands need modifier keys. It is not uniform.

• Staff

Hi Erwe

It is in the context menu. It didn't work in your case because you have the adjustment clipped rather than nested to the image layer.

Do the following: collapse your image layer in the Layers panel. You will see that the adjustment becomes hidden - it is clipped inside the image layer. You clip an object when you drag its layer over other object's layer in the Layers panel (you should see a blue horizontal bar appearing while you are hovering the target layer). This is called layer clipping.

Now expand the layer again and drag the adjustment over the thumbnail of the image layer until a small vertical blue bar appears - release the mouse at that point. Collapse the main image layer - you can see a small thumbnail of the adjustment on the right of the regular image thumbnail, even with the image layer collapsed - the adjustment is nested to the image layer. In this case you're using the adjustment built-in mask to mask the object/image. This is called layer masking. If you expand it again and right-click the adjustment's thumbnail you should see the Edit adjustment command that i believe R C-R was referring to (it's not labelled Edit Mask but Edit Adjustment) and will give you access to the grayscale mask.

Here's a video tutorial covering the differences between layer clipping versus layer masking.

Hi MEB,

in the video he explain, there is no difference between clipping and masking with adjustment layers. So it's hard to find the logical in this case. But I think in time I'll learn it.

Another question: is it possible to see the image when I edit the mask? Like quick mask?

Hi MEB,

in the video he explain, there is no difference between clipping and masking with adjustment layers. So it's hard to find the logical in this case. But I think in time I'll learn it.

It may help to think of a mask layer as an adjustment layer that has no adjustments, or as an adjustment layer with a built-in mask. Masks control where & how much they affect whatever they mask, but do not otherwise affect it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7