You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer UV Unwrap for 3D models

Hi i'll start a new topic because my first one was a little confusing. 

I asked to be able to texture and colorize 3D model made in a 3D modeling software. So what I meant is to be able to import UV unwrap.

Because the way I see it is Affinity Designer could do amazing job as a UX/UI design tool, for concept art and if it could do this (import UV unwrap) than I could certainly ditch Illustrator and Photoshop at the same time and reduce my pipeline of tools.

Thank You

Hello G.M.1986,

It should be possible as long as you export the uv map

in one of the following fileformats;

PNG/TIFF/JPG/GIF/SVG/EPS.

more information about the import export abilities of the Affinity programs can be gathered here;

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Hello G.M.1986,

It should be possible as long as you export the uv map
in one of the following fileformats;
PNG/TIFF/JPG/GIF/SVG/EPS.

more information about the import export abilities of the Affinity programs can be gathered here;

Thank You myclay

So I could do it like right away with this version of Affinity Designer?

What do you mean "import UV unwrap" ?     Any image soft, even Microsoft Paint,  could import  UV unwrap if you render/ export it as image from your 3d soft.    You can just print screen it from unwrap window, then paste and scale in image editor  but sure there is a straight saving way in Maya too.      

• Staff

As kirk23 has said you can just export the unwrapped UV map from your 3d package. You can then open that image (providing it has been exported to a standard image format). UVs are simply points on a 2d plane that are then mapped to a 3d object. All you need to do is export this 2d plane wireframe to an image and then paint over it. You can then apply that as a texture within your 3d package.

Maybe these links are of use to you (providing you are using 3ds Max or Maya):

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/MayaLT/files/Editing-UVs-Save-an-image-of-the-UV-layout-htm.html

http://www.madwomb.com/tutorials/jasonwiser_tutorial_maxUnwrapping05.html

I do this all the time with Cheetah 3D. Cheetah saves the UV map as a pdf which imports into Photo or Design with transparent back ground. Also Cheetah has a right click on the image in the material that will open the texture map in Design or Photo which ever you choose as your open in app in the Finder (get info) open all files with this app. Works great. Have fun also check out: 

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.