You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I notice the image quality drops after I converted the raw image in develop persona.

Please advise how to get it resolve . I will be able to upload the images(42mb) for reference if necessary.

Thanks and regards,

Ekoh

• Staff

Hi Ekoh,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Which RAW format are you working with? Can you give us more details regarding the drop in quality? A couple screenshots from the Develop and Photo Personas (immediately after conversion) would help us visualise the issues. If you could also upload the RAW file it would be helpful too.

Thanks.

Hi!

I just realized that the quality of a RAW import from my Panasonic DMC-G6 in Affinity Photo is unacceptable. See the attached screenshot (left the develop persona of Affinity Photo, right the preview of the RAW image in the built-in Apple preview app.

post-31014-0-29819800-1464548231_thumb.png

Just in time when i decided to take my hobby to the next level... :-(

Bye.

Markus

• Staff

Hi!

I just realized that the quality of a RAW import from my Panasonic DMC-G6 in Affinity Photo is unacceptable. See the attached screenshot (left the develop persona of Affinity Photo, right the preview of the RAW image in the built-in Apple preview app.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-29 um 19.46.15.png

Just in time when i decided to take my hobby to the next level... :-(

Bye.

Markus

Hi Markus, this is because the default raw engine (SerifLabs) does not do any noise reduction, sharpening or other corrections by default. What you are seeing is actually closer to your camera's output than what you see in Preview, which has various enhancements applied to it.

There are two ways around this. One is to apply some light noise reduction (try chroma/colour reduction) and sharpening in the Develop persona. The other is to change Photo's raw engine to Apple Core Image. You can do this by clicking on the tuxedo icon on the top toolbar when developing an image, then changing the engine from SerifLabs to Apple Core Image RAW. Next time you develop the image you will notice a difference; the Apple engine does some noise reduction and sharpening, so that might be a good option for you if you prefer how it develops your raw images.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi Ekoh,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Which RAW format are you working with? Can you give us more details regarding the drop in quality? A couple screenshots from the Develop and Photo Personas (immediately after conversion) would help us visualise the issues. If you could also upload the RAW file it would be helpful too.

Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am using Sony raw file.

The raw file size is 42mb and af photo file size is 360mb hence cannot upload these via forum. Please advise gmail address for me to upload these images.

Thanks.

So!

I tried now and came to the conclusion, that for now it's better for me to choose the Apple Core Import, as i didn't manage to come near the beauty of the built-in optimizations manually (but that is not Affinity Photo's fault!).

Much to learn, i still have.

Thanks for your help!

Markus