Hi

I am confused to how pen stroke weight/ fill colour are set by default.

I draw a line set the stroke to 1 point black then start a new stroke and it reverts to 0pt no colour.

Thanks

Jake 

Hi Jake,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the line with the fill/stroke properties you want to become default then click Synchronise defaults from selection in the main toolbar (the blue cloud icon with an up white arrow). Affinity Designer will use the attributes of that selection from now on to create new lines/objects.

You can reset the attributes back to their defaults (grey fill/no stroke), clicking on the Revert defaults icon (on the right of the Synchronise defaults from selection icon).

You can reset the attributes back to their defaults (grey fill/no stroke), clicking on the Revert defaults icon (on the right of the Synchronise defaults from selection icon).

Is there any way (even with a hack) to change these defaults? The default grey fill is so light on my iMac that if I am working with a document with a transparent background new shapes often blend into the checkerboard background display that I have a hard time seeing them.

At least for me, 50% grey would be a much more desirable default fill color.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Is there a way to set defaults not only for the current document but also for new documents? At least it should be possible to select a style before drawing a rectangle etc. (in Affinity Photo).

If you go Edit > Defaults > Save it will remember Line and Fill settings for new documents but for more complex stuff you need to save styles.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.