You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default pen/colour settings

Hi

I am confused to how pen stroke weight/ fill colour are set by default.

I draw a line set the stroke to 1 point black then start a new stroke and it reverts to 0pt no colour.

Thanks

Jake 

• Staff

Hi Jake,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the line with the fill/stroke properties you want to become default then click Synchronise defaults from selection in the main toolbar (the blue cloud icon with an up white arrow). Affinity Designer will use the attributes of that selection from now on to create new lines/objects.

You can reset the attributes back to their defaults (grey fill/no stroke), clicking on the Revert defaults icon (on the right of the Synchronise defaults from selection icon).

You can reset the attributes back to their defaults (grey fill/no stroke), clicking on the Revert defaults icon (on the right of the Synchronise defaults from selection icon).

Is there any way (even with a hack) to change these defaults? The default grey fill is so light on my iMac that if I am working with a document with a transparent background new shapes often blend into the checkerboard background display that I have a hard time seeing them.

At least for me, 50% grey would be a much more desirable default fill color.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/27/2016 at 5:23 AM, MEB said:

Select the line with the fill/stroke properties you want to become default then click Synchronise defaults from selection in the main toolbar (the blue cloud icon with an up white arrow). Affinity Designer will use the attributes of that selection from now on to create new lines/objects.

Hi MEB,

I'm finding that this feature doesn't work for me. I want my pen tool to match the setting I have in the image attached. But after synching, it still reverts to a 0.3px solid line every time I try. What am I doing wrong?

sync_not_working.thumb.png.10eac60ceb89eb0d013d17ca2fa6657e.png

Edited by Rael Harris
Duplicate picture removed

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ye, I still get the issue. Unfortunately I just have to work around it by just drawing shapes then using the 'paste style' option from something that I've already created. It's a bit annoying/frustrating that it doesn't work.

Actually!... What I've notice is that it synchronises the defaults for the stroke setting but not the fill setting depending on what tool you are using...

When using the picture frame tool - I selected the square on the left, hit 'synchronise defaults from selection' and it kept the colour and weight of the stroke, but not the fill. This is the same with the pen tool.

Picture Frame Example:

image.png.2e09159b52c06b872508dd99b05bcd44.png

However, when using the rectangle tool, the 'synchronise defaults from selection' button will apply all of the settings to new geometry created - see below.

Rectangle Tool:

image.png.1fa120a7fb605ee9375e14662021b219.png

• 5 months later...