You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick Mask not working as shown in Tutorial

I'm trying to do a Quick Mask.  I'm watching AffinitybySerif on Vimeo.  Great tutorials, only ...

I click a Quick Mask.  Photo turns red.  I take a Paint Brush Tool to paint-my-selection.  Nothing happens.  It's a pretty simple instruction.  I'm using version 1.4.1.  Is there a later version?  Has something changed?  Or am I missing a qualifying key or something?

If I use the 'Selection' tool instead it works, though the edges are ragged and I can't see any way to feather them ... and this isn't what the tutorial is showing.  And I notice that when I try to add a layer adjustment or filter to the 'selection' nothing happens.

Help!

I'm about to dive into a rather challenging job.  I'd love to use Affinity Photo to make my graphics ... mostly photo based.  But I'm finding several times now that what the AffinitybySerif very-nicely-done tutorials are suggesting isn't actually working (for me).

All ears,

Ben

• Staff

I'm trying to do a Quick Mask.  I'm watching MacAffinity on Vimeo.  Great tutorials, only ...

I click a Quick Mask.  Photo turns red.  I take a Paint Brush Tool to paint-my-selection.  Nothing happens.  It's a pretty simple instruction.  I'm using version 1.4.1.  Is there a later version?  Has something changed?  Or am I missing a qualifying key or something?

If I use the 'Selection' tool instead it works, though the edges are ragged and I can't see any way to feather them ... and this isn't what the tutorial is showing.  And I notice that when I try to add a layer adjustment or filter to the 'selection' nothing happens.

Help!

I'm about to dive into a rather challenging job.  I'd love to use Affinity Photo to make my graphics ... mostly photo based.  But I'm finding several times now that what the MacAffinity very-nicely-done tutorials are suggesting isn't actually working (for me).

All ears,

Ben

Hi Ben,

With quick masking, just double check you have the brush colour set to white (there's an annotation on the video). White adds to the selection, black erases, and you can use tones in-between to vary the strength of the selection. Other than checking that, quick masking should work fine. Let me know if there seems to be another issue and we'll look into it!

I'm also slowly going through older videos to see if they could do with re-recording, so I'll look at adding more detail to the Quick Mask video.

Thanks,

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

James!

Those are very very terrific tutorials.  I love them.  And yes, I do remember an annotation ... the memory came to me late last night.  And Jimmy Jacks helpful hint didn't hurt my slow brain.  Sometimes I'm racing too fast through things.  I'm a filmmaker and grinding out the final steps for two long and complicated films I've been producing over the last year.   So near the end, and suddenly there is ALL this extra stuff to do, graphics, DVD/Blu-ray covers, posters et al.  Which I normally love to do.  But my Photoshop skills have become so rusty ... and having been through Pages 4.3, Aperture, Pixelmator and three or four other apps looking for a replacement for Photoshop (I'm not a fan of the cloud) ...before finding Affinity, a superb app, and deciding to stop looking further.  My learning curve patience has been taxed.

But I am charged up now.  Your tutorials are the best ... and knowing you are keeping an eye on the forum ... I'm a very happy camper.  I'm looking forward to some serious time with the app in the next short while.

All the best,

Ben

Dear James,

Is there a way I can start chronologically with tutorials, both for Photo and Designer?  Basics to more complex stuff?  I've been looking for a 'neophyte's' version, a 1,2,3 – to get properly oriented, but not quite finding it.

I do have experience with film editing protocols/apps, and have worked with apps like Aperture, and way back, Photoshop.  But I also shoot films, which takes me away from these apps for months at a time.  Not like riding a bicycle.  And with Affinity, it's the first time I feel like making an effort to stick, and stop looking.  Which means learning it properly.

All ears,

Ben

• Staff

Hi Ben,

Have you checked out the stickied In-house tutorials threads in the Tutorials forum? They present all the tutorials in a structured format, which sounds like exactly what you're after:

Photo: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10119-in-house-affinity-photo-video-tutorials/

Designer: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10815-in-house-affinity-designer-video-tutorials/

There's also a Beginners series coming very soon for Photo; can't commit to a specific date, but the core videos are complete and I'm investigating producing a few "further learning" videos. Additionally, I'm always going back to revise and improve existing videos. Any updates to those are announced in the In-house Photo thread linked above.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 8 months later...

HI James,

Just joined the forum. I'm trying to use Quick Mask as well but to no avail. I'm on my base background pixel layer. I select Quick Mask. the entire area turns red. I made sure the brush color is white. set my hardness to zero. It does what the video does by removing the red area. But when I want to make an adjustment layer like HSL nothing happens. I'm in version 1.5.1. Please advise.

Thanks so much,

Tim