You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Color Picker - how to retain picked color from one file to another

Hi! In Affinity Photo, I've noticed that the color picked with the color picker in one file is not retained when I switch to another open file.
I can see how it makes sense that it would be a document specific selection.
If I want to use colors from one file in another file, there are two ways I can think of to do this.  I'm wondering if I'm missing any other options. I'd appreciate input from more experienced users, please :)
Option1: Make a layer in file 1, pick colors and then make blobs/fill shapes with the various colors, copy the layer into file 2 to use it as a temporary color palette.

Option 2: create an Application Palette to use for the duration of the project and then delete later. Am I correct in thinking a person can create multiple Application Palettes?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums @Zukling

Picking a colour from one open document and then using it in another open document, by using the Colour Picker in the Swatches Panel, seems to be working okay for me with Photo 2.5.2 on Windows 10 – see attached video.

If that’s not what you are doing then we might need more details about what you are doing.

If the same thing is not working for you then we will probably need more information about your set-up and maybe a video showing us what you are doing.

22 hours ago, Zukling said:

If I want to use colors from one file in another file, there are two ways I can think of to do this.

If you are working with several colours (four or twenty-four) then Option 1 would work fine, I would do this if I was needing the colours only for that one session/day. Regarding option 2; If you are going to be using this set of colours for several documents, today and tomorrow and maybe next week too, you would be best served by making a Document Palette and Exporting it and subsequently import that palette into new documents as needed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.5 
Affinity Designer 2.5.3 | Affinity Photo 2.5.3 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks you two for the input. I appreciate it.

@GarryP I'm not using the Colour Picker in the Swatches Panel. I should give that a shot.

What I've been doing is this:
While I'm painting with Brush Tool
I Alt+tap-and-drag with my stylus
That brings up the Colour Picker ring/magnifyer circle.
I select a color and it appears in the Forground/Background color circles at the bottom of the Tool Bar.

Looks like I just need to start using the Swatches Panel. Thanks :)

(side note, I'm not seeing the "proper name" of the Foreground/Background color circles. Been looking in the Help doc. Do they have a name?)

45 minutes ago, Zukling said:

(side note, I'm not seeing the "proper name" of the Foreground/Background color circles. Been looking in the Help doc. Do they have a name?)

From the "A" callout in the illustration at https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Panels/clrPanel.html (or the equivalent for language localizations other than U.S. English) these circles in the Color panel are called "selectors."

But often in the forums they are referred to as "color wells," I suppose as a reference to inkwells.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7