You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transformations of multiple objects

+1

This is an essential feature that keeps our work group from switching to Designer and abandoning AI. AI's "Transform each" feature is tremendously useful for scientific figures, for example if you want to increase the size of thousands of data points in scatter plots without increasing the size of the whole plot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been two years... still no action on this critical feature. I just had a graduate student tell me she was going to back to Illustrator CS6 because of the lack of "transform each". As others have noted, there are entire fields (large fields) of potential users for which this is an ESSENTIAL feature. I wonder if the AD developers realize the size of the potential market. If they did, wouldn't they address this key issue (along with "select same appearance") sooner??? Still waiting....

• 7 months later...

Convert every conversion in this program. now we're looking at a square. We are multiplying the square by 1, which means that the pattern continues. ctrl + j continues proportionally when you do. Affinity Designer Bigger Than Adobe Illustrator. :D

adasda.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi grapher,
"Transform each" was already implemented in the latest Betas. - select multiple objects (Move Tool) click/enable the Transform Object Separately button in the context toolbar and edit/transform the highlighted object on canvas (the one with the bounding box/handles visible). All the other will equally transform in place.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi grapher,
"Transform each" was already implemented in the latest Betas. - select multiple objects (Move Tool) click/enable the Transform Object Separately button in the context toolbar and edit/transform the highlighted object on canvas (the one with the bounding box/handles visible). All the other will equally transform in place.

While the beta functionality is a step in the right direction, what I am looking for is to transform "each" by a specific amount (% scale horizontal and/or vertical, degree rotation, etc.). It can be difficult to do an exact change by eye using the handlebars.

To really make this feature great, one would want a "select-by-attribute" function, whereby one could select all objects of a particular color or stroke-size, and then transform them individually by a set amount (scale, rotation, reflection, etc.). I'm very much looking forward to this, as it will end my subscription-slavery to alternative software. 

To MEB,

I understand that this feature has not been implemented yet in the updates and beta but what I want to know is, WILL this feature be added?? And IF it is possible, when?

That really hasn't been answered yet. Definitely listen to your loyal customers though! 

Thanks,

~Ayleigh☆

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, MEB said:

Hi grapher,

Is there way to insert relative / absolute value? like - add to all objects +2mm width, +2mm height, instead of % or absolute value ? 

1 hour ago, grapher said:

Is there way to insert relative / absolute value? like - add to all objects +2mm width, +2mm height, instead of % or absolute value ? 

On 3/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, >|< said:

Select the objects, enable "transform each" mode and then enter the required transform values/expressions in the Transform panel.

You can should be able to use an expression such as +=2mm (or just +=2 if the document units are millimetres).

Edited by Alfred

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 minutes ago, grapher said:

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You can use an expression such as +=2mm (or just +=2 if the document units are millimetres).

It seems like this should be possible, but it doesn't actually work.

If I have one object selected then +=2mm successfully adds 2mm to the existing width.

With multiple objects selected and Transform Objects Separately enabled +=2% works just fine.

But +=2mm adds 2mm to the last selected object, but scales the others by a percentage (the ratio of the original size of the last selected object, to its new size).

1802115710_AffinityTransformEachBug.gif.5e47337c7fe5f77f76454ce566f4b3d1.gif

I suspect this is a bug or an oversight in the current implementation.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2019 at 7:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi grapher,

I see back in March that you said this feature is implemented in "the latest Betas". I'm using a trial of the 1.6.5 release now and I don't see this button -- is it implemented in this version?

• Staff

Hi Codyj,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, this is only available in the upcoming v1.7. There's a Customer Beta available for those who purchased the retail version. You can download it from the respective section/OS from the Affinity Beta Software Forums section on this forum. Here's a quick animated GIF showing how it works:

transform_each.gif

35 minutes ago, MEB said:

No, this is only available in the upcoming v1.7. There's a Customer Beta available for those who purchased the retail version. You can download it from the respective section/OS from the Affinity Beta Software Forums section on this forum. Here's a quick animated GIF showing how it works:

Nice animation of use of the tool. This would be really powerful if "select by attribute" (e.g., by color or other appearance) were also available so that one could select similar multiple objects while ignoring all of the other objects, and then transforming them evenly. I'm still hoping "select by attribute" will be made available (that is the day I kill Illustrator). 

• 2 months later...