You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transformations of multiple objects

• 1 month later...

+1 . I'm still evaluating AD as a tool for editing data graphs output by analysis programs like R, matplotlib, etc. That means I've got 100s-1000s of individual points I want to transform the same way (say, changing the radius and fill of circle data points).

What's the current best practice for doing something like this if "Transform Each" isn't available? I noticed a few threads from years ago asking for this feature, but what's the current status? Maybe AD 1.5 has better support for this? (I don't have access to the beta because I haven't bought yet... because I need a way to do batch transforms for the program to be usable for me).

Thanks.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your response. Of course, that's disappointing news. To the extent that this sort of feedback is helpful for your planning, although I've enjoyed AD, lack of "transform each" (or scripting support that would allow me to add it myself) is a dealbreaker for me. Editing data visualizations in vector software is a pretty common use case these days. Hopefully "Transform Each" will make it on the roadmap soon.

Best,

Jason

• 1 month later...

A big +1 for this for me as well, although I can live without it in the meantime. "Transform each" when making individual selections (vs. selection of a group) is default functionality in Sketch and some other apps, and it is quite handy—it could potentially just be a checkbox option in the Transform panel to toggle on and off.

• 1 month later...

+1

I'm going pile on here with a real-life use case for "transform each".  

I'm working on improving the clarity of a collection of 28 scatter plots created in R, each of which has 50 data point markers.  I need to resize each of those identical markers to the same final size, and it's critical that I preserve the integrity of the plot by resizing them so that their centers do not move.  I'm not too enthusiastic about the idea of individually resizing 1400 objects.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my +1000 to the above. In working resizing hundreds of ellipses (site dots) on a map project I used to use Transform Each in Illustrator and got the job done quickly. Now in AD I'm stuck with doing each of these separately. While I am very much thankful for AD, the addition of the Transform Each option would be a huge help and sell this great program to many more. Please put this on a high priority list. Thanks!

Transform each is one of two critical features (select by attribute being the other) that prevents me from jettisoning Illustrator from my Mac. I'm surprised that these features have not already been addressed at 1.5, but hopeful they will make the roadmap soon. It may be that those using AD for "artwork" illustrations don't use these features very much, but those of us doing technical drawings and graphs absolutely need them, and their inclusion would, I think, greatly expand the user base for AD (at the expense of Adobe). 

• 1 month later...

I want to keep this on the radar, and second smallreflection's observation that Sketch has this feature. In fact, from even just a little bit of use, Sketch's implementation of styles and default 'transform each' behavior is really wonderful for the 'edit lots of data points' use case. I still prefer the experience I had using AD other than this missing feature though. Please please please add this!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey,

I've been testing Affinity for a research institute and the lack of function is the biggest problem I've encountered so far.

Photo and Designer are just neat but this is a huge issue.

So I want want to stress this topic once again :)

• 1 month later...

+1000 for me too, for this feature.

P.S. When a new version of Designer for Windows ?

It's a very good product but it still misses a certain amount of fundamental things compared to AI.

I like Designer very much but for my daily job it's still a bit too "young".

Have a nice day.

- Marco (mkdm)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...