sachinaddy

Affinity Photo : Major Problem : Selection Tool, Color Lock, Smudge Tool, Auto Select, Warp Tool, Straight Line, Canvas Rotation

Hi, 

I purchased the Licenses version of Affinity Photo from Itunes. I installed in on my iMac. We want to switch ourselves from Photoshop to Affinity Photo but we are facing the following major problems, listed below:

1. Selection Tool

a. There is no polygonal Lasso tool. Is there any alternative to that?

b. Cannot select more than one region using the pen tool. How can we add two selections without getting the first path deselected?

2. Color Lock
   There is no color lock available for layers, that prevents colors to go outside the layer boundary. Do you have such a lock? Can it be achieved using any plug-in?

3. Smudge tool
 Smudge tool is breaking up the mixed colors thus creating a dirty color instead of smudging them properly. Is there any setting required to fix that?

4. Auto Select
 When we are clicking on a particular part of the image to check which layer that region is in, the group is getting selected in which the layer belongs but that particular layer remains unrecognizable. Thus we have to find the layer manually. Is there a way to select layers instead of groups?

5.  Warp Tool
 When we want to warp a particular selection of a layer and select it with selection tool, the mesh warp tool is applying the result in the entire layer instead of applying just on the selected region. How can we apply warp only on a selected region?

6. Straight Line
  We cannot draw straight line in any angle using the brush tool by pressing the Shift key. Is there any other way to do that?

7. Canvas Rotation
  We cannot rotate the canvas in an angle for our ease of painting. Is there any way to do that?

Please assist us so we can fully utilize this software. We really like everything else this application is offering. If there is any plugin or bugfix, we are also ready to go for that. 

Kindly revert with your suggestions. 

Thanks,
Sachin

Eminence System : Our Digital Art Company : Portfolio

Hi Sachin,

Welcome to the Affinity forum. 

1. Selection Tool
a. A polygonal tool should be coming in the 1.5 release as far as I know but this isn't for certain. You can hold Shift + Click to add a straight edge.
b. You can select multiple nodes by  holding Shift

2. Colour Lock
Would you be able to elaborate on this? Perhaps provide an example or a link to a video.

3. Smudge Tool
I recently reported this as a bug as I believe smudging two colours should instead cause the two colours to become brighter (cleaner) as opposed to becoming dirty and dark. This will hopefully get a fix soon.

4. Auto Selection
If you hold the cmd key and click the object you want, it will select that and not the group it is contained within.

5. Warp Tool
Do you mean if you have 2 strokes on the same layer, you want to be able to select an individual stroke and apply the mesh warp to that stroke, leaving the other stroke alone? If so, this isn't possible as you cannot separate them. 

6. Straight Line
This should work by shift clicking. Do an initial click and then hold Shift and then click where you would like the line to end. Unfortunately you cannot draw a straight line freehand with the brush tool.

7. Canvas Rotation
There isn't a mouse and keyboard shortcut to rotate the canvas however you can do it in increments of 15 degrees by right-clicking the canvas and selecting 'Rotate Left' or 'Rotate Right'. This can also be achieved from the 'View' menu. If you have a magic trackpad, you can use a hand gesture by placing all your fingers on it and rotating them.

Hi sachinaddy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Regarding question 1b:

if i understood you correctly, you want to turn two (or more) closed paths (what you are calling regions) into selections. To do this select both paths (regions) - press and hold ⌘ (cmd) and click on both path layers in the Layers panel -, then go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add, to turn them into a single path. You can then convert it to a selection in the context toolbar (with the Pen Tool selected).

Regarding question 5:

- You may want to create a duplicate of the layer before taking the next steps.  

- Select the Mesh Warp Tool, go to the context toolbar and change the first dropdown to Source (to position/edit the mesh over the area you want to affect). Drag the nodes of the mesh boundaries to the area you want to affect. If you need to add more nodes to improve the mesh/add precision double click over its boundaries lines to add nodes there or anywhere inside the mesh to create new nodes.

- click the Synchronise button on the context toolbar to use this source mesh as the destination mesh.

- change the dropdown to Destination mesh

- drag the lines, nodes or patch (indicated by a circle when you click inside a section of the mesh) to manipulate the underlaying image

- you may also want to change the Resampling to Bicubic (in the context toolbar) for better image quality

Hi Chris, Hi MEB.

We have gone through your comments and suggestions. Please find below our observations and new issues we had faced today.

1. Selection Tool

a. There is no polygonal Lasso tool. Is there any alternative to that? -- RESOLVED

b. Cannot select more than one region using the pen tool. How can we add two selections without getting the first path deselected? -- Not Resolved

2. Color Lock
   There is no color lock available for layers, that prevents colors to go outside the layer boundary. Do you have such a lock? Can it be achieved using any plug-in? -- Not Resolved

3. Smudge tool
 Smudge tool is breaking up the mixed colors thus creating a dirty color instead of smudging them properly. Is there any setting required to fix that? -- RESOLVED

4. Auto Select
 When we are clicking on a particular part of the image to check which layer that region is in, the group is getting selected in which the layer belongs but that particular layer remains unrecognizable. Thus we have to find the layer manually. Is there a way to select layers instead of groups? -- Not Resolved

5.  Warp Tool
 When we want to warp a particular selection of a layer and select it with selection tool, the mesh warp tool is applying the result in the entire layer instead of applying just on the selected region. How can we apply warp only on a selected region? -- Can be manageable. 

6. Straight Line
  We cannot draw straight line in any angle using the brush tool by pressing the Shift key. Is there any other way to do that? -- Not Resolved

7. Canvas Rotation
  We cannot rotate the canvas in an angle for our ease of painting. Is there any way to do that? -- Not Resolved

We found these issues today.

8 - Brush Tool

a - When we draw a curve using the brush, the first stroke becomes a straight line then the curve begins. 
b - When we are trying to draw small rounded objects, the curves are becoming corners.
c - When we draw a line starting from thin to thick to again thin, the line is breaking into small segments instead of being smooth. 
d- Sometimes the brush strokes are leaving space in between continuous line. 
e- When we restart our machine after loading new brushes, the loaded brush gets clear and we have to load them all over again. 
f- When we’re reducing the flow of the brush and drawing a line. the ends of the stroke is not smooth enough to mix with a similar shade of color. It’s leaving brush mark inspite of drawing using very little pressure. Thus, creating a problem in blending two colors.
g- Since we have previously worked on Photoshop, we found the brushes very smooth and user friendly. Is there any way we can get smooth brushing like that of photoshop in Affinity Photo?

I already raised these issues (till 7) with Apple iTunes' Affinity Photo's "Report a Problem" section. I haven't heard anything from them yet. Is there any way, they can look into my issues also? I'm sure, these issues are there for others also and it would be really really great if a quick bug fix will be provided for this application. I'd really want to switch to this application. 

Please note that, we have tested each steps provided by Chris & MEB. The "Not Resolved" status is written after that.

Please revert with your valuable inputs, so we can test again tomorrow. Also do you face the similar issues where "Not Resolved" is written? If not, would you please make a short video for reference for me and for all whoever is facing such issue. It would be really helpful. If required, I can also make the video for all the "Not Resolved" issues and can share by tomorrow.

A video resolution would be great from your end.  

Hi sachinaddy,

The iTunes Report a Problem link is meant to be used to report problems related with the purchase/download of apps which are managed by Apple themselves. For issues pertaining to the operation of the apps this is the right place to do it.

1b. can you be more specific please? If you meant to draw two separate paths with the Pen Tool and have them converted simultaneously to Pixel selections without joining (add boolean operation) them first, there's no way to do it currently.

2. with the Paint Brush Tool selected, go to context toolbar and check Protect Alpha (also available in other tools).

4. if you press and hold ⌘ (cmd) while clicking an object on the canvas as @Chris B suggested, Affinity will select it immediately even if it's inside a group. You may need to expand the soft highlighted group layer clicking on the small arrow on the left of the thumbnail to see the objects it contains. The selected object should appear highlighted.

Another way to get there and expand the layer group automatically in the Layers panel is right-clicking an object on canvas and select Find in Layers Panel.

6. There's currently no other way to do it (using the Brush Tool) other than the method @Chris B described: you have to click to set the point where you want to start the line, then press and hold ⇧ (shift) and click where you want the line to end.

7. No, there's no way to quickly set an arbitrary angle without using the trackpad (or Magic Trackpad). This is not a bug. It wasn't simply implemented.

As @Chris B also noted you can only rotate in increments of 15 degrees if you are using a mouse using the View menu Rotate Left/Right or right clicking on the canvas and select the same commands.

These screenshots show the options you are looking for, for the canvas rotation as Chris B has described above. One screenshot is for the view menu, whilst the other is using the context menu accessed through right click or ctrl+click

post-30-0-60076400-1464189768_thumb.png

post-30-0-90461400-1464189768_thumb.png

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1B

You don't necessarily have to use Boolean....

Just group any type of elements you want together (vector and/or raster). 

With the group selected go to Select dropdown > Selection from layer.

(note that anything with under 50% opacity will not get marching ants..... but they are still part of the selection.)

I think all of the other (original) issues have been addressed.

Haven't looked at A-G yet  ;) .

Ah, forgot that! Thanks JimmyJack.

Actually you don't even have to go to the menus. Just press and hold ⌘ (cmd) and click on the group's thumbnail in the Layers panel.

Even better!

It would, however, be very nice to not have to go through the group or boolean process at all....

Just a shift (or cmd) click on multiple elements > make selection  :) .

Hi ChrisB, MEB, Chris_K, JimmyJack,

Thanks all for your valuable inputs. We have tried each steps provided by you and please find below our comments. I'm omitting the issues which are resolved to make the post compact and relevant. 

1. Selection Tool
b. Cannot select more than one region using the pen tool. How can we add two selections without getting the first path deselected? -- Problem still exists, please check our video for better understanding of the issue.

6. Straight Line
We cannot draw straight line in any angle using the brush tool by pressing the Shift key. Is there any other way to do that? Free hand Straight Line Not available in Affinity Photo. Hope to see it in next update. Could you please report this also?  -- We can ignore this for now. 

It's really nice to see things are progressing in the forward direction. Could you please take a moment and also address the resolution for the 8th Point which is of Brush Tool. I'm listing those below as pending resolution. 

8 - Brush Tool

a - When we draw a curve using the brush, the first stroke becomes a straight line then the curve begins. 
b - When we are trying to draw small rounded objects, the curves are becoming corners.
c - When we draw a line starting from thin to thick to again thin, the line is breaking into small segments instead of being smooth. 
e- When we restart our machine after loading new brushes, the loaded brush gets clear and we have to load them all over again. 
f- When we’re reducing the flow of the brush and drawing a line. the ends of the stroke is not smooth enough to mix with a similar shade of color. It’s leaving brush mark inspite of drawing using very little pressure. Thus, creating a problem in blending two colors.
g- Since we have previously worked on Photoshop, we found the brushes very smooth and user friendly. Is there any way we can get smooth brushing like that of photoshop in Affinity Photo?

How often we get updates of Affinity Photo and Designer? Are they quick to implement the bugs we are facing ? 

I hope my this post will help other members also who are willing to switch to Affinity Photo. Thanks all for your effort and looking forward for the resolution on the pending issues.

**video added**

Edited by sachinaddy

Hi!

To solve the first problem you have to know that Path Tool in AP is different from the one available in PS.

Basically "paths" as we know them in PS do not exist in AP, which has a more generic and flexible vector tool.

To make it easier to understand in PS when you select the Pen tool you have to choose its mode between Shape/Path/Pixel.

AP only draws shapes.

For the scenario you presented check this video which shows what JimmyJack described above.

Hope it helps you!

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Hi paolo.limoncelli,

Thank you for the Video. We have already tried this and this is the only way when multiple paths are not selected together.
What we required was multiple paths in the same layer and converting them into selection in just a click. It is to save time while working.

9 - Magic Wand tool

In photoshop we could select any color from any layer even after staying in another layer. But in Affinity we have to first select the layer in which the color is, and then apply Magic wand. Is there any way to select any color from any layer even after staying in a different layer?

@MEB, @ChrisB, @Chris_K, @JimmyJack ... could you please assist me with the Brush Tool issue.. Its very affecting our day to day work... 

Will be waiting for your response.. Thanks....

Sachin

Hi Sachin,

Apologies for not getting back sooner. I have some initial responses to the first few questions/issues so far but we still need time to look into your other concerns:

This is a known issue that I logged with development last week after seeing a similar post on the forums. The bug report has had dev activity on it so I hope this will be fixed soon.

This sounds like the fault likes with the above issue. As you begin to draw your line, the curve is straight instead of being rounded giving the appearance of 'corners'.

I haven't seen the line breaking into separate segments, nor can I replicate it however I can see some white marks at the beginning of the line. I believe this is logged but I'll double check.

Sounds related to the above issue. Again I will get this checked for you. Do these spaces fix themselves when you zoom in/out?

Does this happen every time? Are you resetting the app at all? There is an option to 'reset the brushes' if you hold down Ctrl when running the app up. Please make sure you aren't selecting that option.

This may be as a result of the issue already discussed where blending two colours or shades creates a dark blend as opposed to a lighter blend. I imagine this issue will be fixed when we resolve the general blending/blur issue.

We are constantly improving performance and the flow of the app with updates so you can expect improvements as time goes on however, apart from the bugs we have discussed above, I find painting in Affinity pretty smoothe. 

Hi Chris_B,

Thanks a lot for responding and reporting it as a Bug. Hope to get it fixed soon. We will revert with our responses for 8d & 8e tomorrow. Do let me know if you need any detailed video from our end describing our issues in more detail. This will certainly help the development team to fix the issues.

As going forward, please see the 10th Issue we identified.

10 - Hidden Layer
Suppose we hide a layer that has something drawn and we accidentally use eraser on the hidden layer, the elements are getting erased but in photoshop, such a thing was not there. Is there any way not to affect the hidden layers?

May I know when we suppose to get an update for Affinity Photo? Are they fast resolving the bugs?

Affinity Photo and Designer, both are great products.

Regards,
Sachin

"Smooth" is something that in the ux of digital painting can be related to a lot of things.

The most frequently related:

1) speed/responsiveness of the software

2) crispness of strokes (anti-alias)

3) absence of polygonals in strokes (interpolation/stabilisation of the stroke)

4) responsiveness to pressure/tilt of input devices such as graphic tablets

Could you explain what you mean for "smooth brushing"?

This is a point I'm quite interested...

Speaking of fluidity and responsiveness (without lags) to medium/large brushes on my machines PS and AP are almost identical.

Only ClipStudioPaint and Corel Painter currently are better on my experience.

Ok clear, so it is a matter of 

2) crispness of strokes (anti-alias) that in your case seems to have a sort of posterised ramp 

4) responsiveness to pressure/tilt of input devices such as graphic tablets

I think that the problem you're showing could be a mix of calibration ramp (of your graphic tablet driver) and brush parameters.

I found something similar (not the very same anyway) with my Intuos Pro M last year, but solved it recalibrating the tablet.

Can you share those brushes you customised?

No way to reproduce it now...

In the second video I experienced the issue once, because I was painting on a hidden layer by mistake.

I think they'll fix it soon...

Btw the very issue I see there is the bug related to straight stroke-starting, that I'm experiencing too.

10 - Hidden Layer
Suppose we hide a layer that has something drawn and we accidentally use eraser on the hidden layer, the elements are getting erased but in photoshop, such a thing was not there. Is there any way not to affect the hidden layers?

May I know when we suppose to get an update for Affinity Photo? Are they fast resolving the bugs?

Hi Sachin,

In future, could you create a new thread for new issues/bug reports as it makes it much easier to track so we can ultimately help you much faster :)

Currently there isn't a way to prevent hidden layers being modified, other than to remember to hit Esc to de-select the layer before you attempt to erase etc. It's just different to how Photoshop works but it doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong. If you genuinely believe that this is more of an issue than a design choice, I can put it forward as an improvement to the development team.