You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 months later...

This isn't really a bullet point feature, it's manually adding a symbol that looks like a bullet. Isn't there some basic word processing frameworks that can be added to Affinity Designer to handle simple things like this? Wrapping text in a text box is another common example of why this would be useful. Having to manually create line breaks is kind of bizarre. 

Hi PatriotInvasion, welcome to the forums.

You don't have to manually create line breaks. If you use the Frame text tool rather than the Art text tool to create text, the text will wrap automatically at the edge of the frame. You can use the Paragraph panel to set left and right indents, and also set a hanging first line indent to position the bullet symbol.

We will be adding a proper bullet and numbered list feature in due course. Publisher will need it, and then the other apps will get it too.

Hi PatriotInvasion, welcome to the forums.

You don't have to manually create line breaks. If you use the Frame text tool rather than the Art text tool to create text, the text will wrap automatically at the edge of the frame. You can use the Paragraph panel to set left and right indents, and also set a hanging first line indent to position the bullet symbol.

We will be adding a proper bullet and numbered list feature in due course. Publisher will need it, and then the other apps will get it too.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. 

On the latter point, I suppose word processing features are so par for the course across web and native apps these days, many of us just kind of expect them to be there - even in a vector-based design app. Certainly needed for any kind of pamphlet, sell sheet, PDF, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi craigriches,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Place the cursor where you want to insert the bullet then go to menu Edit ▸ Emoji & Symbols, select the Bullets/Stars section and double-click the one you want to use.

Hmm, I don't see Edit > Emoji & Symbols in my AD WIN ver 1.5.0.28. I have a text frame activated, my cursor is blinking so all auto menus should be relevant. Nothing under the Text menu either, although Text > Insert Character would seem the right place for such a feature. Confused.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Hi jer,

The steps i have outlined above are for the Mac version only. Emoji & Symbols are an OS X system feature. On Windows Insert Character is the equivalent command as you discovered.

Ok, thought I was going nuts there for a moment. Thanks for the sanity check. Lucky Apple Mac-ers.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

• 11 months later...
On 24/05/2016 at 5:34 PM, MEB said:

Hi craigriches,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Place the cursor where you want to insert the bullet then go to menu Edit ▸ Emoji & Symbols, select the Bullets/Stars section and double-click the one you want to use.

That doesn't seem to be there on my version. Windows 1.5.3.6

I've been robbed >:(

In fact in the "Help" there is no help.

bullets.png.2dc8f6f2c67e12f45d4879bfd5b6a469.png

emoji.png.7e6c0904c5bc63ff02a61f83abfb30ff.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

11 minutes ago, toltec said:

That doesn't seem to be there on my version. Windows 1.5.3.69

No, it won't be. As Miguel explained in a later post:

On 29/10/2016 at 8:38 PM, MEB said:

The steps i have outlined above are for the Mac version only. Emoji & Symbols are an OS X system feature. On Windows Insert Character is the equivalent command as you discovered.

Except that 'Insert Character' isn't really equivalent, since it only offers a limited list of characters and doesn't include any symbols at all. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

No, it won't be. As Miguel explained in a later post:

Except that 'Insert Character' isn't really equivalent, since it only offers a limited list of characters and doesn't include any symbols at all. :(

Ah. Oh, well, it seems I was only robbed of my glasses B|

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 minute ago, toltec said:

Ah. Oh, well, it seems I was only robbed of my glasses B|

Time for a new pair, perhaps? glasses-slip.gif

Alfred spacer.png

54 minutes ago, toltec said:

I was having a look through Wingdings and wondered how often this gets used 

flopped.png.d16f67a17bd7bba8beb1f3ebc51cda02.png

Hah, someone on the Facebook Quark Group recently altered a floppy disc image from version 3 to have a 1 of 332 (or some such number) on the label. Last time I used such a icon was for a manual in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I sure am glad those days are long gone...

(Other than those applications run really quick on a modern computer, anyway.)

27 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Hah, someone on the Facebook Quark Group recently altered a floppy disc image from version 3 to have a 1 of 332 (or some such number) on the label.

That inevitably reminded me of this post. :D

Alfred spacer.png

Hah! I remember replying to Patrick, but forgot about the image R C-R posted.

I have an XP Pro computer I am assembling. It has 5.25" and 3.5" disk drives, 1 OS hard-drive and 3 large-capacity hot-swappable hard-drives in it. Aside from using it for some legacy software that will not install on a newer OS, it's gonna be used for back-ups on my network. Got my diskettes all ready to go—and it will be a pita swapping them out.

Not long ago I remember a security researcher commenting on pentesting a Boeing 747 (or 737) and saying they still used floppies to load software.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a fair bit of medical equipment that still uses floppies as well...  Expensive equipment with heavy regulations means they get stuck in a time warp.

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

Got my diskettes all ready to go—and it will be a pita swapping them out.

How's this for a PITA? My first "personal computer" was a Commodore VIC 20, bought while I was traveling & staying at a budget motel in a small town. The only programs available for it at the time were ones published in magazines that users typed in. The store had several of those but the cassette based storage "drive" was on backorder, so I typed in my first BASIC game (which took hours) & left the VIC powered up when I left my room for dinner so I could play it when I got back.

Unfortunately, I did not notice that the only available AC outlet was powered by a wall switch that controlled the room's floor lamp. As you have probably guessed, I turned off the light when I left, wiping out all my typing so I had to do it all over again. That was bad enough but the story doesn't end there: once I figured out about the switch, the next morning I taped a note over it for the maid, briefly explaining why the switch should be left on. For whatever reason, that was ignored so when I got back from breakfast I had to type the program in yet another time!

I got the light switch thing sorted out with the maids (I think there were death threats involved) but with no way to save anything, I still had to type in the other games I wanted to play, wiping out the prior one. The day before I left town, the store finally got the cassette drive, so for the rest of my trip I could save my programs to tape, but it still took forever to save or load them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

i remember typing in the code for a game on my first commodore 16. spent half of the day typing, and the other half of the day getting the errors out.

for some reason every error i corrected there was another comming up. so i finaly gave up.

later that day i asked my girlfriend for some help. she had just one look at what i was doing, and with a big smile she said: the code you are using is for a commodore 64.

never programmed again.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, createsean said:

Seriously need a way to add numbered and bulleted lists in designer. Using this for web design and I need to show the styles of bullets. 

Currently not possible on the windows version of AD as far as I can tell.

On 10/11/2016 at 8:29 PM, Dave Harris said:

Alfred spacer.png

True, and the Publisher beta is now here, and Publisher has bulleted and numbered lists. Publisher is build number 1.7.0.57, and Designer is still 1.6.5.123. Perhaps when Designer gets to 1.7 it will have them, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1