bengedlow

Blur tool doesn't seem to DO anything?

I'm a newbie.  I click the layer (a photograph) I'm working on.  I click the 'Blur' tool.  I choose size, hardness, flow etc.

And click click click ... it doesn't seem to have an effect on the layer.

If I choose an adjustment layer, say Gaussian blur, then my only choice is to blur the entire image.

So I'm missing something on the 'Blur' tool ... and can't seem to find an answer in all the terrific tutorials you have.

A hint?  A clue?

All the best,

Ben

Hi MEB.  I have the layer highlighted in the Layers panel – the layer of the photo.  I add a New Live Filter Layer ... or even just a Filter Layer = Gaussian blur.

I click the Blur tool.  The Blur tool doesn't do anything.  I keep looking back to the Layers ... the Blur adjustment is embedded in the Photo layer.  I can't JUST click the adjustment layer, coz it's 'attached' to the photo layer.  But highlighting the both ... the Blur toll ain't working.

???

I also just highlight the photo layer (no adjustment layer added) ... and try to use the tool. Nada.  Nothing.

Thanks for the info.

The Blur Tool you find in the Tools on the left and the Filters are two different things. You don't need to add a Blur filter to work with the Blur Tool.

To use the Blur Tool select it and paint directly over the area you want to blur. Just make sure the layer you want to affect is selected. It must also be a Pixel layer type - you can identify the type of layer looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel. If it's identified as an (Image) layer type, right click on it in the Layers panel and select Rasterise, however this should not be necessary as Affinity Photo automatically converts it for you as soon as you start painting with the Blur tool.

Image layers are considered object layer types, you can only change them at a "global" level, that is, change their scale, rotate , skew etc. To change an image at a pixel level (to use brushes, selections etc) you must convert it to a Pixel layer type. Another important difference between the two: Image layers type retain their original resolution no matter if you scale them down and back up again. When you convert/rasterise them to a Pixel layer they are converted to the document dpi value and will not retain the original data, so you can't enlarge them back again.

The Filters (and Adjustements) are a different feature and affect the layer globally unless you use a mask to limit the affected area. All adjustments/fllters have a built-in mask you can use for that purpose. So if you want the Blur filter to affect just part of an image, create the filter (Gaussian Blur for example), then select it in the Layers panel (you may have to click the small arrow on the left of the thumbnail to expand the image layer and access the nested filter), press ⌘ (cmd) + I to invert it's built-in mask to black so it blocks everything initially (look at the thumbnail to see it change to black), select the Brush Tool, set it to White and paint over the area you wish to affect. What you are actually doing is painting on the built-in mask with white to define the areas you want the filter affect (white reveals the filter / adjustements over the image, greys reveal more or less the effects/adjustements depending on its Lightness value, black blocks them).

Let me know if you still have trouble.

... the Blur adjustment is embedded in the Photo layer.  I can't JUST click the adjustment layer, coz it's 'attached' to the photo layer. 

The trick to selecting just an embedded adjustment layer is you must click on its thumbnail icon in the Layers panel. If you click anywhere else you will select its parent layer instead.

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Thank you thank you, both.  Very helpful.

And MEB, you just answered a BUNCH of questions I had.  I was also wondering about the resolution of an 'image' changing as I resized it.  I think Photoshop now has 'smart folders' that maintain resolution.  I used to be caught with that in the old Photoshop, resize smaller, re-enlarge, oops, resolution gone.

I'm going to follow all your instructions today.  I sincerely appreciate the very careful explanation.  The video tutorials are great, but I've been watching them helter-skelter and realise that some of the detailed instructions are given once ... and then it is assumed they are already known in the next tutorial (at least on a number of occasions) ... so if one doesn't watch chronologically, one misses a lot of details.

Aha!  I see you are in Lisbon MEB.  I love the country, lived down in Albufeira for awhile.  I'm watching how Portugal is moving way ahead of the rest of the world with some very enlightened thinking.  Makes me want to go back there.

Thank you X 10 for the help.  You've made this day much much easier.

All the best,

Ben

No Blur.afphotoBlur brush not doing anything.

The layer is highlighted the blur brush is chosen a paint brush is chosen.

Paint with the blur tool nothing changes.????? The yellowish lay is what I want to blur.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Hi all. I have finally found the answer to the problem listed here.  You have to first make sure that you have nothing selected or the blur tool does not work.  Before dragging the curser over the area to blur, Click CTL D to deselect everything and then the blur will work

There is definitively something strange about the Blur tool. I really have to paint a lot, with all settings pushed at 100%, brush size humongous, and stay on the same spot for a long long time.... since I duplicate the layer, I can evaluate the effect by switching it on and off. I am uncertain if it should take that much time. In comparison, the smudge tool works quite fast. Our perhaps I have too many pixels in my photos...

Hello All,

I hope this may help everyone... I had an issue also awhile ago with this BLUR TOOL.

Solution: Just make sure the image file memory is not larger than 60mb so that you can easily see the blurring changes, then once the blurring is already okay, you can now adjust the image file size.

Thank you! 

- PremoPH

3 hours ago, markhooker said:

nothing I do makes the blur tool work... never had this issue until now.

Make sure you're using it on a (Pixel) layer, and that you don't have a pixel selection active (Select > Deselect or Cmd/Ctrl+D).

Not sure why you'd get a brush preview that looks like it's erasing.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

14 hours ago, markhooker said:

nothing I do makes the blur tool work... never had this issue until now.  also using the blur tool creates a circle that looks like it's erasing.

This looks similar

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/97495-blur-brush-tool-in-photo-is-not-working/

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.