You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Another tutorial... learning 3 types of shading

Hi people,

Hoping to help as many artists as possible ... here's another tutorial made by me for understanding certain tools available inside Affinity Design. I'm sure I'm not being exhaustive, these are three ways that I know and found out and they serve me well for my professional work. There must be other ways of working the shadows and highlights. I hope it is easy to you to understand.

Enjoy

http://youtu.be/Hb83LpJTxBg

Great tutorial. Good pacing, just fast enough to follow.

Question, why the copy and paste inside when one could just drag the shading shape into the "Main" shape? Saves keystrokes, and once a shape's been masked and selected in the layers palette, any new shapes will be added above it and still be masked by the Main shape? Just a minor quibble. Your method is just as good. :)

Thanks for doing this. Learned a bit, esp. about the pixel persona. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

@CartoonMike: Mmm... yes your are right. I realized that after placing the first "paste inside". All objects "inside" are within a sub-layer after the first object.

That's a  great feature because you can have all the objects you want in the first one. :-)

Thank you for your comments.

:)

Hi Rik... After you cut the shape you must select a shape to paste inside. You can do the same if you drag the shape with gausian blur within a sub-layer after the first object.

You can see in the image I attach here: The layers "Shadow1" and "Shadow2" they are inside the shape named "RED Body fish". You can drag vector shapes inside the "first-one" as you wish.

I hope I have been clearer now.

post-1361-0-49373900-1413406189_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Thank you, quite useful. I'm quite facile with vector programs but new to the integration with raster effects. (Looks like Designer will change that.) The video was worth watching just for learning Paste Inside.

BTW, I see a Colours icon in your tool panel on the left. How did you do this? 

Hi "bpedit",

Thank you for your kind words.

To see the colours icon its easy:

1-Go to Menu "View" and select "Customise Tools"

2- A new menu appears to choose and drag tools for your palete tools. In the bottom you must choose "2" columns (that's the way I like my menu appearance).

3- After "close" automatically the Colours Icon appears.

post-1361-0-33883700-1416910234_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...