You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer request

Finding Adobe very arrogant, especially to its loyal customers, I jumped to Serif and delighted to discover Affinity Designer which is really Cool. 

This might sound so petty, but for me would make a huge difference: visible clipboard. When you push an item off the main screen, you can no longer see it. Can you make the clipboard visible.

Also we have many 'actions' saved for photoshop, could you code to make them compatible for Affinity photo?

thanks

J

Maybe this will help.  In the menu View>View Mode>Clip to Canvas with a hotkey of a \ backslash.  It works for me in cases where I need to store something off the canvas.  And I can make it invisible until I need it.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hello Josephmsc,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Pasteboard was implemented along with Artboards. As Gear maker said you can make it visible unchecking View ▸ View Mode ▸ Clip to Canvas. It's visible by default for documents that contain/use Artboards.

We will have a new Macro Persona for Affinity Photo however i don't think it will be fully compatible with Photoshop actions (at least not in the beginning) since there's no feature parity between the two programs.

MEB,

I knew about the "Clip to Canvas" but is that how the Pasteboard is going to be? As it is, it seems like it is not quite complete and I thought it was just a stopgap until something more could be implemented (or just the first step of it). Once Artboards were added then they were removed from the Road Map but Pasteboards were not, so I thought that there must be more to come for Pasteboards in the next release? Is there some reason that it wasn't removed from the Road Map? Just curious. 

Thanks,
Hokusai

MEB,

Thanks for the response. I would like to be able to use the Pasteboard all the time without having to turn off the "clip to canvas" every time. It is nice in Designer that we can adjust the colour of the background but if I adjust the colour to be white (like the clipboard is in Illustrator) then I can't see the edges of my canvas. In "Outline" mode, I should be able to see the canvas edges as well but I can't. I only see my objects and nothing to indicate the canvas. Maybe this is a bug? 

Thanks,

Hokusai

I agree with Hokusai. The pasteboard is essential in my opinion. I store many things on the pasteboard including printing instructions and notes to myself. And it should be separated from the  canvas by some line of demarcation in the event you want to have a white background. The Clip to Canvas feature would be nice to have with the pasteboard (to make all of the pasteboard items invisible). It doesn't work for me in its current incarnation though. It can make items to disappear, but only because it sets their fill to None. It also tends to be greyed out in the View > View Mode menu, so maybe I have something else going on...

I would also like to have a way to designate non-printing objects. I use this capability frequently in Illustrator. For instance to show where the window is on an envelope I am designing. I want to see the window on the canvas while designing, but not have it print when the file goes to a printer.

Great job with Affinity Designer so far. Looking forward to continued improvements.

Mid-2011 iMac 27, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

• 1 month later...

Talking about artboards:

If I create a document with the artboards unchecked, I will be able to create artboards later?

Right now it seems not possible. You must create a document with the Create artboards option checked to have them. 

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

• Staff

Talking about artboards:

If I create a document with the artboards unchecked, I will be able to create artboards later?

Right now it seems not possible. You must create a document with the Create artboards option checked to have them. 

Hi krollian :)

You should definitely be able to add artboards to any document at any time - whether you had that option checked or not... Just select the artboard tool and either drag out a new artboard on the document or use the context toolbar to add an artboard of the right size :)

If that's not working properly, just give us a shout! Thanks!

Matt

Hi krollian :)

You should definitely be able to add artboards to any document at any time - whether you had that option checked or not... Just select the artboard tool and either drag out a new artboard on the document or use the context toolbar to add an artboard of the right size :)

If that's not working properly, just give us a shout! Thanks!

Matt

Ouch!

I thought that the artboards must be edited in clicking on the button Document configuration at the up left of the interface...

Thanks!!!

P.S.: I forgot the Artboards tool in the same place that is the Move tool. Sorry. I was looking for it in various panes. The consequences that happen when you are used to work in FreeHand and Horrostrator... Ahem!

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!