Hello everybody, i am having lots of problems with my newly purchased Affinity Designer :(

I used the free trial for the last week and really liked AD. Today i purchased the full version on the App Store. Now i can’t use AD anymore.
Here are the problems i know of so far:

1. I can’t open any AD files i created with the trial version. Nothing happens if i click on a file.

2. I can create but I can’t save new files. I keep getting this message: "Failed to save document: <Untitled> Save failed because the file path that given was not valid." This happens regardless of the folder i choose to save the file in.

3. AD crashes whenever i try to place a file inside the file (like a scan of a sketch).

So, what can i do? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Henry

Hi Henry,

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new purchase. Have you tried completely removing Affinity from the Mac followed by a fresh install?

1. Can you try opening Affinity first and then go to File > Open and browse to a file made in the trial version.

2. I normally see something like this when attempting to save somewhere you shouldn't however, it sounds like you've tried numerous locations. You can try holding down the Ctrl key while opening Designer and clear all the presets.

3. The Ctrl reset may fix this. I would definitely recommend completely removing any trace of Affinity if the Ctrl reset doesn't work and do a fresh install.

Please keep me posted. 

Hi Chris,

thanks for your quick answer.

Yes, i removed AD from my Mac and reinstalled it multiple times. Nothing changes.

1. That’s what i did so far. Now i clicked on a file to open it with AD and i get the message "The file could not be opened because permission was denied."

2. Yeah, i tried several locations and i did not try to save to any unusual folder. I get the same message everywhere.

3. I also tried the CTRL reset but it didn’t help.

Hi Henry,

Thanks for getting back so quick. I have a few suggestions from development I'd like you to try:

1. Use Disk Utility to 'Repair Disk Permissions'

2. Try on a new user account

3. Give Affinity permissions to read & write for the current user account. This is done by going into the Application folder, right click the app, and choose Get Info to add new permissions.

Does the app allow you to export an image at all? I know you can't save but if you cannot export it definitely sounds like a permissions issue.

Cheers. 

Hi Chris,

i will try out your tipps in a second.

For the Export i can already say that it also does not work. I get an error message box with no message in it.

I’ll get back to you as soon as i tried your advice.

For the Export i can already say that it also does not work. I get an error message box with no message in it.

Ah sorry I thought you just meant saving the .afdesign file and not an image file type.

2. Try on a new user account

Yes, this worked. I could open files and save them.

But i need AD to work on my main account. And i wonder how the permissions got changed at all?

1. Use Disk Utility to 'Repair Disk Permissions'

3. Give Affinity permissions to read & write for the current user account. This is done by going into the Application folder, right click the app, and choose Get Info to add new permissions.

I did both, with no effect.

Ah sorry I thought you just meant saving the .afdesign file and not an image file type.

No, you were right. I just tried to export when i read your post. :)

I think this is the last post i can write today. I will get back to this thread on Monday.

Thanks for your help so far!

Hi Henry,

Would it be possible to check all the user settings in the new account, note them down and then check them against the settings in your main account.

I'm sorry this has been so much trouble.

Hi Chris,

thanks again for your help. I just solved the problem by accident and the solution is as strange as the problem was.

Here is what i did:

1. Create new doc in AD

2. Click "save as"

3. Choose this folder: my account -> public -> drop box

4. Click OK

I could save in the shared folder and afterwards i could save everywhere :blink:
So, whatever happened here is beyond my understanding :D

I can now open files, save them and place images in them. Everything is fixed.

Cheers!

Henry

Aaaand i’m back :blink:

I don’t know why but the errors are back today. I can’t save, can’t open and can’t place.

I wonder if this has something to do with the trial version? Does the full version of AD somehow "think" it is the trial version and then deny access?

And, btw, now i can’t solve the problem by saving to the dropbox anymore. Really strange. I worked with AD on Friday, everything worked fine. Now its back to before :/

Cheers

Henry

Hi Henry,

As long as the trial version has been removed I can't see how it would interrupt the MAS version. It definitely sounds like your permissions are being changed.

I'm going to escalate this to the development team to see if they have any suggestions as I don't want to waste your time by guessing.

I will get back to you once I've heard from them. Thanks for your patience so far :)

Some people have found this to work:

> Give Affinity permissions to read & write for the current user account. This is done by going into the Application folder, right click the app, and choose Get Info to add new permissions.

I'm also struggling with this issue. Comes and goes. I've tried everything: Safe Mode, permissions repair (on El Capitan), upgrading my OS (now Sierra: bad idea, actually, because permissions repair is entirely removed by Apple, even from command line functions). Nothing works. Tried all other suggestions. When present, I cannot use the app at all, which is a major issue for me professionally now that I have become so dependent on it in design work.

Hi tastethecake,

Are you referring to the permissions issue or general bugs in Affinity? If you are referring to the bugs, which ones specifically?

Cheers 

Sorry, i did not receive a notification that you posted a question and just saw it now.

So i am late with my answer :rolleyes:

I am referring to the problems i posted, which are: i can not save an file with AD, and i can not open any file. I can use th app, but without saving it’s useless to me. These problems still are not solved with the latest update.

Cheers

Henry

Sorry, i did not receive a notification that you posted a question and just saw it now.

So i am late with my answer :rolleyes:

I am referring to the problems i posted, which are: i can not save an file with AD, and i can not open any file. I can use th app, but without saving it’s useless to me. These problems still are not solved with the latest update.

Cheers

Henry

Do you have many fonts on your system?

Look at the thread I posted immediately above your reply.

I've faced the same repeatedly, and lately forgot how I addressed this issue before.

In my case, I work with typography a lot and tend to have many fonts activated at the same time. When you reach a certain threshold (around 2,000 is safe, more or less), AD starts display this permissions error behavior. Reduce the number of active fonts and restart AD and it may start working again.

It's an issue of sandboxing and how many files can be used by a sandboxed app. For some sad reason, AD counts active fonts as files, so reaches a threshold and becomes unusable if you have many fonts active on your machine.

Do you have many fonts on your system?

Look at the thread I posted immediately above your reply.

I've faced the same repeatedly, and lately forgot how I addressed this issue before.

In my case, I work with typography a lot and tend to have many fonts activated at the same time. When you reach a certain threshold (around 2,000 is safe, more or less), AD starts display this permissions error behavior. Reduce the number of active fonts and restart AD and it may start working again.

It's an issue of sandboxing and how many files can be used by a sandboxed app. For some sad reason, AD counts active fonts as files, so reaches a threshold and becomes unusable if you have many fonts active on your machine.

Great tip, thank you so much ianrobertdouglas!

For now this fixed the problem. I had to dactivate all the fonts on my Mac and now i can use AD again.

I have lots of fonts activated, too, around 2500. When i reduced to around 2000 it still did not work, with all of them deactivated it now works fine.

Thanks again!

Henry

Edited by tastethecake

BTW, the error message that appeared when i tried to save recently changed to this:

Failed to save document: <Untitled>

Internal error (Cannot save to temporary): You should not be able to do a full save until you save it with a new filename.