You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Investigations about non-destructive dodge&burn

All have started with this tutorial Non-Destructive Dodge & Burn. When I tried to use it I found that I don't have same effect as real dodge & burn tool. Then I asked this question in Forum, and got some ideas. But still wasn't happy. I decided to figure it out and followed next steps in my investigation:

dodge&burn simulation.afphoto

- I prepared stepped gradient.

- Copied it and applied dodge and burn tools with different tonal ranges (highlights, midtones, shadows) and different opacity and hardness (100% and 50%).

- Above original gradient I created new 50%-grey layer with Overlay blend mode.
- Draw with white (for dodge) and black (for burn) brush with same opacity and hardness preferences.

- Edit Blend options for this new later to get same result as appropriate dodge and burn

And here are results that I have:

Dodge Highlights.

26525132043_7d10ba1415_z.jpg

Dodge midtones

26525131933_1dc03f10a3_z.jpg

Dodge shadows (yes, shadows are very similar to midtones).

26525131773_3d591c08d7_z.jpg

Burn highlights

This can't be simulated with "Overlay" blend mode, because in overlay white always states whites, but with burn highlights white becomes grey. I tried over blend modes, but without success. Very hard to simulate.

Burn midtones

I didn't have exactly match. But very close. I don't think you will notice a difference in real work.

26525131593_bc22d25103_z.jpg

Burn shadows

26525131423_1a0bf47ed9_z.jpg

I also attach Affinity Photo file with my experiments, so anybody may try. Here are some shortcuts used to name layers:
- d - dodge
- ds - dodge simulation
- b - burn
- bs - burn simulation
- h - highlights
- m - midtones
- s - shadows
- o-100% - opacity 100%
- h-100% - hardness 100%

dodge&burn simulation.afphoto

Conclusions: using non-destuctive dodge&burn with Overlay blend mode may be pretty tricky. I hope developers will make native non-destructive dodge-burn tool. Something like healing tool with option "Current and bellow".

I have to admit that I don´t really get the logic involved in your calculations.

When you burn the shadows, you set blend if so that it has 100% Opacity at the highlight section on the right?!  :blink:

And in the mid tone curve you set 100% opacity in the highlights as well?

I´d just do a bottom left to top right diagonal to target more of the highlights, and a reverse diagonal to target more of the shadows. And maybe add a third node and uncheck linear to taper the curve down a bit further if I´d like to enhance the separation.

A Sort of triangle would do for the midtones for me. (Bottom left and right, mid top)

+ you can use hard light blend mode to burn highlights (but I wound´t recommend it cause grey highlights just look plainly awful/ dirty in most cases)

In the end, for me, it´s not so much about the exact curving but rather about D&B till it looks right. So in the end it´s your strokes that vary the intensity rather than the 100% perfect curvature in the blend if dialog.....

I have to admit that I don´t really get the logic involved in your calculations.

When you burn the shadows, you set blend if so that it has 100% Opacity at the highlight section on the right?!  :blink:

And in the mid tone curve you set 100% opacity in the highlights as well?

Yes. It's how original burn works. Look at layer "bs o-100% h-100%". This layer is made with original burn tool. It was surprising for me too.

+ you can use hard light blend mode to burn highlights (but I wound´t recommend it cause grey highlights just look plainly awful/ dirty in most cases)

I tried with hard light, but couldn't simulate same effect. And yes, I agree with you - burn highlights is almost useless, so I don't want spent many time on it.

In the end, for me, it´s not so much about the exact curving but rather about D&B till it looks right. So in the end it´s your strokes that vary the intensity rather than the 100% perfect curvature in the blend if dialog.....

There are plenty of edited images in which I used d&b and which I want to change a bit. And I had to remade d&b editing. So tried to change to non-destructive d&b hot it was in tutorial and I didn't get same effect. That's why I started my investigations.

When I edit new images I start with this blend option curves, but almost always edit them to get needed effect.