You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello out there,

I'm scratching my head with files that I'm creating and then exporting as pdf - pdfx1a (also for print) to then lay out in Indesign.

I create a pdf from a file with sharp logos and then the image in the pdf is bitmapped. The text remains sharp.

I've attached a couple of screen grabs - before and after.

Where am I going wrong?

cheers

Vernon

post-29804-0-30635900-1463653113_thumb.png

post-29804-0-39556800-1463653128_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Vernon @ M&M,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The brush strokes you used in your design (around the logo) are raster based (if you zoom them in Affinity Designer you will see this), however the rest should export as vectors.

Can you please upload the .afdesign file using this link so i can take a look?

All files will be deleted after being checked.

Thanks.

• Staff

Thanks for the file. The reason the logo is being rasterised is because it was added (the center circle) as an embedded document into the logo composition. Currently embedded documents are also rasterised. To fix this, double click the center circle on the canvas to open the embedded document in a new document window, then copy the main layer and paste it directly into your original document (you may have to adjust the scale a little). You can then export to PDF as usual.

The brush strokes will always be exported as raster images as they use images/textures as the nibs for the brush.

I've PM'ed you a link to the edited file.

Meb,

Do you think there will ever be a way to have embedded objects export as vectors if they are vector based to begin with?

For example, I have thousands of graphics that I use for making signs. Currently, I have to open the graphic and then past it into my sign template. It would be nice to simply be able to use the place image tool to do essentially the same thing. If I'm not mistaken, there is an option in Ai for doing this.