Sign in to follow this  
hofft

Export to pdf rasterizes vectors

Hello,

Even though I have entire illustration in vectors (with brush), when exporting to pdf it converts to rasterized mess:( Did i do something wrong or is it just how it works?

(The attached files show a snippet that should be vector but isn't and an outline preview of the exported pdf from Illustrator. There are no transparencies or effects applied apart from the brush itself) 

post-30713-0-09694800-1463511473_thumb.png

post-30713-0-32186200-1463511478_thumb.png

Hi hofft,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Seems you are using a raster based brush, rather than a pure vector brush.

Some vector brushes use raster images as "nozzles". That is, they use a vector path as the "skeleton" then apply the raster image (stretching or repeating depending on brush settings) to it.

Those cannot be exported to PDF as vectors and that seems what's happening in your case. 

You have to use the Brushes from the Basic section (dropdown) on the Brushes panel or create a custom brush preset yourself.

Thanks for the explanation. Do you know whether vector 'brushy' brushes (i.e. with stroke imitating natural flow of a brush or a charcoal) are going to be implemented someday? Also, if the brushes are raster rather than vector, is there a size limit for each brush stroke? (i.e. the size of each stroke (in pt) above which the edges become blurry in let;s say 300 dpi)?